Falmouth All Saints
The parish of Falmouth All Saints, (Cornish: Oll Sens Aberfal), comprises much of the new part of the town to the north and west. Falmouth is on a peninsula at the west side of the entrance to Carrick Roads, a large natural harbour on the south coast of Cornwall fed by the river Fal. Henry VIII built a fort here at Pendennis Point and another on the opposite shore at St. Mawes, both of which are still in excellent condition. Falmouth is the largest port in Cornwall whose real prosperity began in 1688 when it became a Post Office packet station. Brigantines sailed with mail to Spain, Portugal, West Indies and North American Colonies until 1852, when mail traffic was transferred to Southampton. The port and shopping area are on the north side of the peninsula, while on the south coast are sandy beaches and hotels. Today Falmouth is a combined holiday resort, fishing port and ship repairing centre. Ambitious plans to transform the waterfront will no doubt increase it's attractions as a tourism centre in the future. (See also Falmouth, King Charles).
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for Falmouth Old Cemetery - 81 entries. There is a municipal cemetery at Swanpool where burials now take place.
See under Falmouth Town.
The parish church (at OS Grid Square SW8032) was dedicated to All Saints in 1887 to serve the increasing population of Falmouth. All Saints' Church stands at the corner of Albany Road and Killigrew street, on a site presented by the Earl of Kimberley; the foundation stone was laid November 2nd, 1887, by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, and the church was consecrated in 1890 by the Bishop of Barbados, acting for the Bishop of Truro, the total cost being over £6,000. It is a building of Plymouth limestone with Ham Hill and Doulting dressings, in the Early English style, from designs by Mr. J.D. Sedding, architect, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles shallow transepts, vestries, with a connecting ambulatory, west and north porches and a circular turret over the north porch containing one bell: there are 700 sittings.
Other photographs of All Saints Church, Falmouth are available on-line.
See under Falmouth Town. The Cornwall Record Office holdings are: Baptisms 1890 - 1951, Burials 1924 - 1927, Marriages 1909 - 1970.
The ecclesiastical parish is part of Falmouth Town for civil purposes.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Falmouth All Saints to another place.
The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Falmouth All Saints has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Falmouth Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW804326 (Lat/Lon: 50.152694, -5.075434), Falmouth All Saints which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The Falmouth parishes were part of the Falmouth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
This parish was formed as a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1887 within the civil parish of Falmouth. Population figures can be found on the Town page, and under Falmouth, King Charles.