The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"GWINEAR, a parish in the E. division of the hundred of Penwith, county Cornwall, 3 miles S.W. of Camborne, and 7 S.W. of Redruth. The parish is of large extent, and the surface clayey, with occasional rocks of slate, and patches covered with pebbles of white spar. The principal hamlets in the parish are Cattebidrew, Drannock, Fraddam, Penhal, Tregortha, and Wall. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the copper-mines of Herland, Wheal Carpenter, Wheal Alfred, and Wheal Trelistion. In the first mentioned, native silver is also found in considerable quantities. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £483, and the vicarial for £284. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £308, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Winnear. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school. Many copper and silver coins of the later Roman emperors have been found in this parish, especially on the estate of Trungle, and in the old fortification of Coswinsawsen."