Herodsfoot, (Cornish: Nanshiryarth), is in the Hundred of East. The meaning of the name is 'the foot of the stream at Heriard'. The name 'Heriard' was changed to Heriod in the 17th century and then to Herod in the 18th century. It is an attractive little village about three miles south west of Liskeard, situated in a place where four or five valleys meet, and where two tributaries of the West Looe river conjoin. Herodsfoot became quite a populous mining village in the early 19th century.
The parish was created from parts of Lanreath, St Pinnock and Duloe parishes in 1851. However, this civil parish no longer exists; its responsibilities are spread back again between the parishes from which it was created.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Herodsfoot was enumerated as part of Duloe, St Pinnock and Lanreath parishes.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Herodsfoot was enumerated at part of Duloe, St Pinnock and Lanreath parishes. The 1851 Census of Herodsfoot is included in (HO107/1903) for Duloe, Enumeration Districts 2a, and for St Pinnock Enumeration Districts 5b, which are available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Herodsfoot (RG9/1531) was enumerated as part of Duloe civil parish. The 1861 Census of Duloe, Enumeration Districts 1 [including Herodsfoot], 2 and 3 [including Herodsfoot], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Herodsfoot was enumerated as part of Duloe and Lanreath civil parishes. It is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- RG10/2240 - St Pinnock. Enumeration District 16.
- RG10/2241 - Duloe. Enumeration Districts 1 [including Herodsfoot], 2 and 3 [including Herodsfoot]).
- RG10/2244 - Lanreath. Enumeration District 3 [Herodsfoot].
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Herodsfoot is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- RG11/2286. Enumeration District 17.
- RG11/2287. Enumeration Districts 1 [including Duloe] and 3 [including Duloe].
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Herodsfoot is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish was created in 1851. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2160, and was dedicated to All Saints. It was built in 1850 and is a substantial structure, well-buttressed, with a high-pitched roof, and western bell turret containing one bell. There is a chancel, nave, good south porch and a priest's door. In 1880 a new organ was installed.
In 1936, St Cuby's at Duloe, and All Saints re-joined to become the united benefice of Duloe-with-Herodsfoot although both Parishes were still to be independent. Since then they have shared rectors and Priests-in-Charge and very often, in the early days of the United Benefice, a Curate who would live in the All Saints' Vicarage and have particular responsibility for the village.
From the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser. Friday 20th April, 1849:
NEW CHURCH AT DULOE - A district has been formed at Herodsfoot, including a portion of the parish of Lanreath, and a portion of the parish of Duloe. The Rev. R. SCOTT, the incumbent of Duloe, has actively exerted himself to procure the necessary funds, in which he had received aid from his neighbours as well as from persons at a distance, who sympathize with him in his efforts. The appeal was also responded to by both the Diocesan and General Church Building Societies, the former contributing £70, and the latter £80, towards the church.
A suitable site having been procured close by the village of Herodsfoot, and the necessary arrangements having been made, it had been determined to lay the first stone some days since, but it was postponed until Tuesday last, on account of the sudden death of the late Mr. BULLER, of Morval, a benefactor to the building fund, and who had engaged to perform the ceremony of laying the foundation-stone. On Tuesday last, the ceremony was performed by his son, Mr. J. F. BULLER, of Morval. Divine service having been celebrated in the parish church of Duloe, the congregation proceeded to Herodsfoot, and on reaching the gate of the proposed church-yard, a procession was formed, and headed by a large number of clergymen, proceeded to the site of the new church, repeating the 132nd Psalm. Several hundred persons were congregated, and in the course of the service the stone, a large block of granite, was lowered, and Mr. J. F. Buller assisted in adjusting it to its bed. The service was conducted by the Rev. RICHARD BULLER, of Lanreath, and the Rev. ROBERT SCOTT, of Duloe. The church will be built by Mr. RUNDLE, of Tavistock, from a design by Mr. HAYWARD, of Exeter, in the early English style. The church, which is to be called "All Saints", will be fitted with sittings for one hundred and sixty, the whole of which are to be free; and there are to be school-rooms adjoining. The estimated cost of the edifice is £1,500, and an endowment is promised as soon as it is built.
- Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians had a chapel here.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings are: Baptisms 1851 - 1968, Marriages 1851 - 1968.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1850 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1850 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1850 to 1936 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The civil parish of Herodsfoot was in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district were: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Herodsfoot to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Herodsfoot has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Liskeard Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX214605 (Lat/Lon: 50.416777, -4.51461), Herodsfoot which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Information about the Caradon and Liskeard Mines is available on-line.
Herodsfoot parish became part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief once it was created.
Population figures for Herodsfoot parish are generally enumerated with Lanreath.