The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"JACOBSTOW, a parish in the hundred of Stratton, county Cornwall, 8 miles S.W. of Stratton. The parish is bounded on the S. by the river Derrington, and intersected by the road from Barnstaple to Falmouth. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The soil is a strong clay, with some marsh and bog. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £310. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £243. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a granite tower, and was repaired in 1831. There are places of worship belonging to the Primitive Methodists, Brianites, and Thornites, also a National school. At a place called Headon are two ancient barrows. Degory Wheare, the first Camden Professor of History at Oxford, was a native."