Kilkhampton (Cornish: Tregylgh) was once called Kilhamland. It is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of Stratton. It is bounded on the north by Morewenstow, on the east by Bradworthy and Sutcombe in Devon, on the south by Pancrasweek in Devon, Launcells and Poughill, and on the west by the sea, The 'hampton' part of the name is of English origin. 'Kilk' may be derived from the Cornish kylgh, 'a circle'. This ancient settlement is the most northerly village in Cornwall, situated on high ground astride the A39. It is on the old Ridgeway to the south-west and which was incorporated by the Romans in their network of roads. Kilkhampton is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086 in an entry "The King holds Chilchetone".
The chief village is the Churchtown. The village still caters for the needs of travellers and has a variety of shops and accommodation for tourists.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Methodist Chapel - 126 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Kilkhampton (HO107/151), Enumeration Districts 1 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Kilkhampton (HO107/1897), Enumeration Districts 2a, 2b, 2d and 2e, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Kilkhampton is listed in Volume 5. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861.The 1861 Census of Kilkhampton (RG9/1512) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Kilkhampton (RG10/2214), Enumeration District 1 (including schools) and 2 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Kilkhampton (RG11/2269), Enumeration Districts 1 [including Workhouses], and 2 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Kilkhampton (RG12/1796), Enumeration Districts 1 (including Workhouse) to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SS2511 and was dedicated to St James. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. In 1860 the whole building was extensively restored, the whole east end was rebuilt and new windows inserted. The arcades each have seven four-centred arches of granite, supported on slender pillars of the same material. The lofty tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains six bells.
A Mission Church was built at Stibb in 1884; details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and the Bible Christians had chapels in the Churchtown.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Kilkhampton are: C007172, E007172, M007171, P007171, Bible Christian Circuit C065171/2, and the Wesleyan Methodist Circuit C150911. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1539 - 1876.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1539 - 1932, Burials 1537 - 1961, Marriages 1539 - 1966, Boyd's Marriage Index 1539 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, Non-Conformist records 1817 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1539 to 1839 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Kilhampton Bible Christian baptisms (in two registers) 1817 to 1909 and 1860 to 1896, and Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel baptisms 1836 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1725 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased from Parish Chest.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1539 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1539 to 1812, and marriages 1811 to 1907, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
The parish of Kilkhampton is in the Stratton Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Kilkhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilkhampton to another place.
"KILKHAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Stratton, county Cornwall, 4 miles N.E. of Stratton, its post town, and 20 from Bideford. It is situated on the high road leading from Stratton to Bideford, and is separated from the county of Devon by the river Tamar. It was the seat of the Grenvilles from the Conquest till the 17th century. Upon the site of the ancient mansion, John, Earl of Bath, erected, soon after the Restoration, the mansion of Stowe, which, within little more than half a century, was demolished. The buildings are said to have occupied above 3 acres. The village, which is still considerable, was formerly a market town. The reservoir of the Bude canal, covering 70 acres, is partly within this parish. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £50, and the rectorial for £607. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £487. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure, with a pinnacled tower containing five bells. The interior has a carved ceiling and pulpit, and several monuments to the Grenville family, and other families of distinction. The parochial charities produce about £39 per annum. The Rev. James Hervey, while curate of this church, wrote his "Meditations." There is a National school for both sexes; also chapels for the Wesleyans and Bible Christians. Fairs are held on Holy Thursday, and the third following Thursday, and 26th August."
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Kilkhampton ecclesiastical parish:
- Kilkhampton (Rilchetona, Chilchetone), Grid Reference 253114.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kilkhampton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Stratton Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS248113 (Lat/Lon: 50.87478, -4.491572), Kilkhampton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Kilkhampton (1803 - 1836) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
Kilkhampton parish was part of the Stratton Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.