The parish of Landulph (Cornish: Lanndhelek) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north, east and south by the River Tamar which separates it from the parishes of Bere Ferrers and Tamerton Foliot in Devon, and from the parish of St Stephen-by-Saltash, and on the west by Botus Fleming and Pillaton.
Landulph is a parish and village on the Devon border a few miles north of Plymouth. The origin of name come from 'church site of Dylph', one of the original saints to whom the church is dedicated.
The village of Cargreen, the only village in the parish, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Tamar.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Landulph (HO107/135), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of Landulph (HO107/1900), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Landulph is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Landulph (RG9/1525), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Landulph (RG10/2231), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Landulph (RG11/2282), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Landulph (RG12/1808), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX4361; it is dedicated to St Leonard and St Dilph (Dilic). The Anglo-Saxons came to Cornwall around the 9th century A.D. and probably built a new church on the Celtic site although no evidence of this building remains. In 1086 the Normans carried out the Domesday survey and Landulph is listed as the manor of Landelech. The Normans built a new church which probably consisted of a west tower, nave and chancel, but only a very little of this building is recognisable within the present structure. Landulph became an important embarkation port for hundreds of pilgrims between 1428 & 1456. With the development of the port and the influx of pilgrims came the need for a bigger church, and so the church was rebuilt around 1420 in the decorated style with a top stage added to the tower and North and South aisles added.
The present church comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and a vestry. The arcades have each five semi-pointed arches, springing from monolith, octagonal pillars, with bases and capitals also octagonal; the material is Roberough free-stone and granite. There is a south porch, a walled-up north door, and a vestry door. The tower is of three stages, is buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and stump pinnacles. It is about 70 feet high. By the late nineteenth century the church was in desperate need of restoration, and a restoration appeal was launched in May 1900, by the Rev. Sylvanus Gregory to raise £2058. The major restoration works were completed by 1902, and many further smaller improvements were made during the early twentieth century, which included the reconstruction of a rood screen and associated figures.
In 1987 Landulph became part of the United Benefice of St. Dominick, Landulph, St. Mellion and Pillaton with the rector based at the St. Mellion Rectory.
- Non-Conformist. There were chapels belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists, Bible Christians, and the Baptists in the parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Landulph are: C026361/2, E026361, M026361. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1540 - 1872.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1540 - 1979, Burials 1540 - 1978, Marriages 1540 - 1977, Boyd's Marriage Index 1541 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Banns. The OPC has also made the transcriptions of marriage banns at Landulph 1786 to 1797, available on-line.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1540 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore marriages 1541 to 1812, and marriage transcripts 1700 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1771 to 1824 (in woollen) and parish burials 1700 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has also made the following transcriptions of burials at Landulph available on-line:
- Burials 1700 to 1720.
- Burials 1721 to 1747.
- Burials 1747 to 1760
- Burials 1761 to 1784
- Burials in Woollen 1771 to 1796
- Burials in Woollen 1797 to 1824
- Burials 1785 to 1812
- Burials 1813 to 1830
- Burials 1831 to 1850
- Burials 1851 to 1870
- Burials 1871 to 1883
- Burials 1882 to 1901
The parish of Landulph is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- There is a website for Landulph parish council available.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Landulph to another place.
"LANDULPH, (or Landilip), a parish in the S. division of the hundred of East, county Cornwall, 6 miles N. of Saltash, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the western bank of the river Tamar, and is wholly agricultural. A considerable portion of marshland has recently been reclaimed. The Beer Alston lead and silver mines extend into this parish, which includes the small port of Cargreen. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £328. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £340. The church, dedicated to St. Dilpe, is situated by the side of the river. It is an ancient structure with a lofty embattled tower. The church contains a monument to Theodore Palæologus, a descendant of the last Christian emperors of Constantinople, who died in 1636, and was interred here. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum. There is a National school. Near the village is a mineral spring formerly in much repute.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Landulph ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which Landulph has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Transcription Of An Auctioneer's Catalogue For Various Properties On Landulph And St Dominic Offered For Sale In 1831.
- Map of the St Germans Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX431614 (Lat/Lon: 50.431433, -4.210515), Landulph which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Landulph (1698 - 1822) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Landulph parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1725 to 1770 and 1777 to 1806), Settlement Papers (1711 to 1818), and Bastardy Bonds (1701 to 1802), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
Information about Wills of Landulph inhabitants is available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
The Protestation Returns of 1641/2 for Landulph are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
The parish comprises 2115 acres of land, one acre of water, 217 acres tidal water and 293 acres of foreshore.
Voter Lists for Landulph are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC, as follows:
- 1851 to 1852 Voters' List.
- 1852 to 1853 Voters' List.
- 1864 to 1865 Voters' List.