The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LANDWEDNACK, a parish in the hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 10½ miles S.E. of Helston, its post town. It is situated on the Channel, and within its limits is the Lizard Point, the most southerly point of land in Great Britain, from which ships leaving the Channel date their departure, and near which are two lighthouses. This parish formerly belonged to the Earl of Mortaigne and the Hawkinses. A short distance from the Lizard, and partly in this parish, is the famed Kynance Cove, enclosed by high masses of rock of gigantic elevation, and pierced with caverns. These rocks are outwardly of a dark green colour, but internally most beautifully variegated, having veins from light green to purple, white, red and scarlet. The rock called the "Devil's bellows" has obtained this appellation from the roar caused by the rushing of the sea into its deep chasms as the tide rises. There are two stone quarries, from which serpentine of exquisite beauty and susceptible of high polish is obtained. This stone is chiefly used for slabs, mantelpieces, vases, and other articles. There are also brick and tile kilns. During the summer season this place is much frequented by tourists. At Landewednack Cove the pilchard fishery is carried on. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £253 11s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £253. The church, dedicated to St. Lanty, is a stone structure, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles and containing three bells, each dedicated to a saint. The interior of the church contains an ancient granite font, old register chest, and several monuments. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Association Methodists have each a place of worship. Thomas Henry Hawkins, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"KYNANCE COVE, on the W. coast of Cornwall in the parish of Landwednack, 1 mile N.W. of Lizards Point."
"LIZARD POINT, the most southerly point of England, in the parish of Landwednack, in county Cornwall, 10 miles S. of Helston. It lies in N. lat. 49° 58', and W. long. 5° 12', and is the point from which foreign-bound vessels take their departure. It was the Promontorium Damnonium of the ancients, and consists chiefly of serpentine cliffs, on which are two lighthouses, put up in 1751, which are built of white stone, 222 feet high, with fixed lights, visible for 20 miles. To the N.W. is Kynance Cove, and off the coast are the Stags, and other rocks."