The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LANEAST, a parish in the hundred of East and Lesnewth, county Cornwall, 7 miles W. of Launceston, its post town. It is situated on the river Inny. The parish is bounded on the N. by Trenegios and Tresmere, on the E. by Egloskerry and Trewen, on the S. by Altarnum, and on the W. by St. Clether. Laneast was formerly held by Launceston Priory. In the neighbourhood is a small lead mine called Wheal-Baron. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £113. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £85. The church, dedicated to St. Satiovla, St. Wilvola, or St. Galwell, is an ancient stone structure with a lofty tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains a carved screen, open oak seats, and remains of an ancient painted window. There is a National school. In a meadow near the church is a well called the "Wishing Well." The Wesleyans have a chapel at Tregeare. At Neptune, in this parish, John Couch Adams was born, the discoverer of the planet Neptune."