The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LANSALLOS, a parish in the hundred of West, county Cornwall, 6 miles S.W. of West Looe, its post town. It is situated on the coast near Lantivet Bay, and contains the township of Polperro, and the hamlets of Crumplehorn and Ternewan. It was held by the Earl of Mortaigne, from whom it passed to the Bolighs, Kelliows, Speccots, Longs, &c. The soil is chiefly loam upon a subsoil of slate. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £500. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £500. The church, dedicated to St. Alwy, is situated on a hill, and was selected as a station for the trigonometrical survey. There is also an episcopal chapel, erected in 1839. The charities produce about £1 per annum. The Wesleyans have two chapels. Francis Howell, Esq.', is lord of the manor."
"CRUMPLEHORN, a hamlet in the parish of Lansallos, in the county of Cornwall, 6 miles S.E. of Lostwithiel."
"POLPERRO, a seaport and market town, partly in the parish of Lansallos and partly in that of Talland, hundred of West, county Cornwall, 5 miles E. of Fowey, 3 W. by S. of West Looe, and 9 S. by W. of Liskeard. It is a small fishing town and coastguard station situated on the slopes of two rocky hills, divided by a ravine through which flows a small rivulet to the English Channel. It has a fishing harbour, capable of admitting vessels of 150 tons burthen. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries and in the coasting trade; the imports being coal, culm, and limestone, and the exports grain and fish, including large quantities of whiting, turbot, plaice, dace, pipers, and pilchards. A rare lancelot fish, known to naturalists as the "comphioxus lanceolatus," was rediscovered here in 1835 by Mr. Crouch. There was formerly a chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Peter, on the western hill above the town, but now in ruins. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans, also Kendall's school, with an endowment of £15 per annum. A pleasure fair is held on 10th July and two following days."
"TERNEWAN, a hamlet in the parish of Lansallos, county Cornwall, 3 miles E. of Fowey."