Ludgvan, or Ludevon, (Cornish: Lusowen), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It is bounded on the north by Towednack and Lelant, on the east by St Erth and St Hilary, on the south by Mount's Bay and Gulval, and on the west by Gulval and Towednack. It lies to the south of St Ives in the narrow neck of land between St Ives and Penzance. To the west is the moorland area of West Penwith with its ancient Chysauster settlement lying in the neighbouring parish of Gulval. The parish is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. In June 1793, a Roman urn was found by some labourers in digging a trench on the border of the parish near the sea. It was buried in the sand two or three feet under the surface, and the coins in it were considerably corroded. However, they were chiefly of the reigns of Gallienus, Victorinus, Tetricus, etc.
The Churchtown village is small, although the area covered by the parish includes the larger village of Crowlas. Other villages are Lower Quarter, Cockwells, Whitecross, Canonstown, and Manwinion. The Red River runs through the parish and down to Mount's Bay near Long Rock.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Gravestone Photographic Resource project have recorded some 253 persons in 98 graves for St Paul's churchyard, Ludgvan. The site also has recorded several different burial ground sites for the parish which are listed separately.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 2330 entries.
- Crowlas Methodist Chapel - 160 entries.
- War Memorial inscriptions for Ludgvan parish are separately available.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Ludgvan (HO107/142) (Enumeration Districts 10 to 16), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Ludgvan (HO107/1917) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Ludgvan is listed in Volume 24. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Ludgvan (RG9/1587) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Ludgvan is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Ludgvan (RG11/2339) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Ludgvan (RG12/1853) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW5033. The church was originally dedicated to St Ludowanus (Ludgvan) by John de Grandisson, Bishop of Exeter, on 14th July 1336 but is now dedicated to St Ludgvan and St Paul the Apostle. It comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisle, and a vestry. The chancel was enlarged in 1840. The north arcade has six four-centred arches, with fine granite pillars, chiefly monolith; the south arcade has four arches of similar character and material. There is a south porch with a circular opening in its eastern side, and the inner arch of its doorway is of Norman character. There is also a north door and a priest's door. The tower, which is of three stages, is buttressed on the square and finished with battlements and pinnacles. The belfry contains five bells.
On 30th July 1761, the church was struck by lightning. The south door was burst open, and the pulpit and communion table were shattered; one of the pinnacles on the tower was struck down, and other parts of the building were considerable damaged.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a large chapel at Crowlas, a chapel at Whitecross built in 1858, another at Trenowin, Newtown and Canonstown. The Primitive Methodists had chapels at Lower Quarter, Cockwells (built in 1858), and Boswase. The Bible Christians had a chapel at Batreva.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Ludgvan are: C020961/2, E020961, M020961. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1563 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1564 - 1974, Burials 1563 - 1959, Marriages 1563 - 1980, Boyd's Marriage Index 1563 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages.
- 1813-37 Marriages.
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1694 to 1807 (Bishop's transcripts - with gaps), and transcriptions 1894 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Baptisms in the Ludgvan Wesleyan Methodist church 1855 to 1884 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP). They are also available from West Penwith Resources.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1712 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Banns. Banns 1824 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1563 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1563 to 1812, marriage transcriptions 1712 to 1745 and 1754 to 1893, and Bishop's transcripts 1674 to 1807, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages of Ludgvan 1563 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
- Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
The parish of Ludgvan has been in the Penzance Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.
- Further information and some more pictures of Ludgvan are also available.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ludgvan to another place.
"LUDGVAN, (or Ludjan), a parish in the hundred of Penwith, county Cornwall, 3 miles N.E. of Penzance, its post town. The Marazion station on the West Cornwall line of railway is about 1 mile E. from the village. It lies N. of Mount's Bay, on rising ground, near the coast of the English Channel In Domesday survey this place is called Ludaham, when it was one of the possessions of Robert Earl of Mortaigne. Copper and tin are obtained here, also granite and schistose. A peculiar kind of granite, with which was blended a large proportion of mica, called the Ludgvan stone, used to be found here, but appears to be now exhausted. The people are mostly employed in mining operations. The hamlet of Crowlas, and several small places, are included in this parish, which is of large extent. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £808. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £800. The church is a stone edifice, with tower and Norman porch, dedicated to St. Paul. It contains a monument to Dr. Borlase, the learned antiquary and historian of Cornwall, who was rector of this parish for above 50 years, and the tomb of Sir Humphry Davy's parents. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. The Wesleyans have six chapels, the Primitive Methodists two, and the Bible Christians one. There is a National school for both sexes. In the neighbourhood are remains of an entrenched camp, called Castleandinas, the diameter of which is 400 feet from E. to W., and the principal ditch 60 feet wide; it occupies the summit of the highest hill in this part of the county, and commands views of the English Channel. At Collurian are remains of an ancient chapel, and on the road to Marazion earthworks, thrown up by the Parliamentarians while engaged in the siege of St. Michael's Mount. The Rev. Canon Rogers is lord of the manor. A cattle fair is held at Lower Quarter on the 2nd October.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Ludgvan ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which Ludgvan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
The Manor of Ludgvan Lese covered parts of the parishes of Ludgvan, St. Ives, Zennor and Towednack. The abstracts of the Manorial Records 1688-1739, which are taken from LDS film #1471491, are available on-line.
- Map of the Penzance Registration District in which the parish lies.
- A map showing Ludgvan in the context of its neighbours is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW509331 (Lat/Lon: 50.145529, -5.488531), Ludgvan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Ludgvan parish was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1700 to 1748, 1778 to 1824), Settlement Papers Register (1770 to 1861) and Bastardy Bonds (1760 to 1829), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Bastardy Bonds for Ludgvan 1760 to 1820 are available on-line. These list those bonds levied for the support of base (i.e. illegitimate) children. The mothers are listed as are those named in the bonds (which may include, but not necessarily, the fathers).
Wills & Admons for Ludgvan parish, 1661-1772 are available on-line.
- The Ludgvan Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.
- The Penwith Local History Group aims:
- To encourage and sustain public interest in the history of Penwith to provide mutual support and encouragement to members in their individual research projects, whether related to Penwith or of wider historical interest.
- To work as a group on specific research projects, with the aim of publication to an academic standard.
- To encourage the strong link with the Morrab Library, supporting the Library in its aims and activities.