Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Marhamchurch

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

The parish of Marhamchurch, (Cornish: Eglosvarwenn), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of Stratton. It is bounded on the north by Stratton and Launcells, on the east by Bridgerule, on the south by Week St Mary and Poundstock, and on the west by the sea. It was founded as a monastic settlement by St. Morwenna - the 'Church of St Marwen'. This saint could be another one of the children King Broccan or could be St Merwenn, the 10th century abbess of Romsey in Hampshire. The parish is in the north-east corner of Cornwall near the Devon border, which may explain the English-sounding name. The manor of Marham Church is the Maroncirche and Maronacirca of the Domesday Survey of 1086: "Hamelin holds MARONECICHE. Broder held it before 1066, and paid tax for 1½ furlongs. 1 virgate of land there, however. Land for 2 ploughs; 1 plough there, with 1 slave and 1 villager and 2 smallholders. Pasture, 20 acres. Formerly 10s; value 6. [20 sheep Exon]".

The Churchtown village lies on the course of the old Bude canal, built in the 19th century, which connected Launceston and Holsworthy to the port of Bude. In 1888 the railways made the canal obsolete. The only villages are the Churchtown and Tetson.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 762 entries.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Marhamchurch area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SS2203, and was dedicated to St Morwenna. It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches. The entrances are a south porch and a priest's door; the north door is blocked. The tower has three stages, is buttressed at the angles, and is finished with battlements and pinnacle; the belfry contains five bells.
  • Non-Conformist. In the Churchtown were chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists, Bible Christians, and the United Methodist Free Church.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1558 - 1866, Burials 1558 - 1890, Marriages 1558 - 1977, Boyds Marriage Index 1558 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1719 to 1866 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1740 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1719 to 1890 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of Marhamchurch is in the Stratton Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Kilhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Marhamchurch which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marhamchurch to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



OPC Assistance.The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.


Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Marhamchurch ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Marhamchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Marhamchurch parish was part of the Stratton Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1819 to 1838) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.


  • Population in 1801 - 414 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 448 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 647 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 659 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 659 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 584 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 581 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 591 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 535 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 484 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 445 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 466 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 464 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 471 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 588 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 473 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 449 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 470 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 648 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 754 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 728 persons


The parish comprises 2703 acres of land, 13 acres of water and 92 acres of foreshore.