The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MERTHYR, a parish in the W. division of the hundred of Powder, county Cornwall, 6 miles S. of Grampound, its post town, and 5 E. of Truro. The village, which is small, is situated on St. Clement's Creek, an inlet of the river Mopus, which is crossed by Trevilan Bridge, connecting this parish with that of Probus. Excellent building-stone is quarried in this parish. It is the spot where Sir Ralph Hopton surrendered to the parliamentary general, Fairfax, in 1646. A brisk trade in done in coal, timber, and lime, the creek being navigable for coal and stone barges up to Trevilian Bridge. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £55, in the patronage of the parishioners. The church is an ancient structure, with a wooden bell-turret containing three bells. A portion of the communion plate bears the date 1576. There is an old register chest containing parish documents dating from 1688. There is a parochial school for both sexes, endowed with an annuity of £20. There is a chapel for the Wesleyans in Merther-lane. Hals, the county historian, had a seat at Tresawen, in this parish. There is a ferry from Malpas to Merther. In this parish is the entrance to the mansion of Tregothan, approached by a level carriage way 3½ miles in length. It is at present the seat of Viscount Falmouth, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford, whose tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £250. A fair is held on the second Monday in February."