Millbrook, (Cornish: Govermelin), is in the Hundred and Deanery of East. The name 'Millbrook' obviously means mill-stream, but the site of any mill is unknown. The parish of Millbrook was created from part of Maker parish in 1867. It is located in the Hundred and deanery of East. It is separated from the city of Plymouth by the River Tamar, and until 1869 was administered as part of the parish of Maker. There is evidence that there has been a settlement here since the Stone Age. In the 17th century it possessed a large fishing fleet, and the convenience of water transport led to the development of industries such as brickyards and the manufacture of gunpowder.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1115 entries.
Census information for this parish (1871 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Millbrook was enumerated as part of Maker.
- In the 1851 Census, Millbrook was enumerated as part of Maker.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Maker (which included Millbrook) is listed in Volume 8. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. In the 1861 Census, Millbrook was enumerated as part of Maker.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Millbrook (RG10/2228), Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Millbrook (RG11/2279), Enumeration Districts 1 [including Merchant Shipping] and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Millbrook (RG12/1806) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX4252, and is dedicated to All Saints.
The Parish of All Saints', Millbrook was formed when it broke away from the ancient Parish of Maker in 1869. The Vicars of Maker are recorded back to 1264. Prior to 1869 a Curate served Millbrook from Maker.
Before this time there is evidence of a Chapel at Insworke, or Insworth, which dates to the fourteenth century. Little is known of the history of this Chapel but there are remains to be seen today. It is likely that the Chapel was part of Insworke Manor, which was in the possession of the Champernowne family. It is believed that the Chapel was licensed by Bishop Grandisson in 1331 and was probably disused by the middle of the 16th century. Insworke represents one of the oldest areas of habitation and sites of Christian worship in Millbrook.
In 1827 a Chapel of Ease was built in the Dodbrooke area of Millbrook. The Chapel had no chancel and the altar stood close to the east wall. The Font was located near the west door under the music gallery. Sometime later the East End of the chapel was extended to form a chancel and choir stalls were added. At about the same time an organ was installed. It is known that the Sunday School children sat in the gallery. There was a three decker pulpit. In 1888 the fabric of the Chapel of Ease became dangerous and the then Vicar of Millbrook, The Reverend G. Farmer and his wife were anxious that a more beautiful Church should be built. They headed the subscription list with a donation of £1,500 requesting that the name 'All Saints' be given to the new Church. This was quite appropriate for a Church at the very eastern end of the Diocese of Truro, which has been called the 'Land of the Saints'.
The new Church in Millbrook was built of Limestone. The pillars, window and door jambs of the new Church are of blue stone from a Cornish quarry which was rather unusual in Church architecture at that time. It is polyphant and is used with white Bath stone. The fittings of the new church included items from the old Chapel of Ease. The Altar, Font and lectern, the tables of the Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments, and the organ, church bell and various parts of the seating were amongst the items included in the new building. The old altar now stands in the Lady Chapel with the Cross from the old Chapel. The Eagle lectern, which was carved by a local man from Mount Edgcumbe Oak, still exists in the present church. The High Altar was given by the parish, together with the Cross and Candlesticks, in time for the consecration. A White frontal was specially worked for it by some of the ladies of the parish assisted by the Sisters of St. Margaret's at Cawsand.
The original design of 1892 for All Saints' Church proposed a building with a fine Tower but this was never completed due to lack of funds. The Bell from the old Chapel was incorporated into the new building however, and is still rung to summon the faithful to prayer and worship. The Memorial Window situated along the north wall is rather beautiful and was dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives in the Second World War 1939-1945. The names of the fallen are inscribed in a Cornish Slate tablet below the window. The new Church was consecrated by Bishop Gott, the Bishop of Truro, on All Saints' Day, 1st November, 1895. The church is now united with Millbrook and is known as the 'United Benefice of St. John with Millbrook'.
- Non-Conformists. Both the Wesleyan Methodists and Baptists had chapels here.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1867 - 1958, Burials 1870 - 1968, Marriages 1869 - 1975.
- The Plymouth Record Office holdings: Millbrook Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1855-1907, Marriages 1907-1984.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1889 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1870 to 1934 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Millbrook is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since its creation in 1867; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- Photographs of Millbrook are available on-line.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Millbrook to another place.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Millbrook has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Germans Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX424518 (Lat/Lon: 50.344976, -4.216336), Millbrook which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
On its creation (1896), Millbrook parish became part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Millbrook was created from part of Maker parish 1867; population figure before 1871 are with Maker.
The Rame Peninsula History Group was formed at its inaugural meeting on 30 January 2003. Its aim is to research, record and promote interest in the heritage of the Rame Peninsula.