1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"MINOR RUAN, a parish in the hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 9 miles S.E. of Helston, its post town, and 2 S.E. of Ruan-Lanihorne. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the coast of the English channel. The parish includes Cadgwith Cove, a great resort of fishermen. The manor formerly belonged to the Carminow and Robinson families. The surface is elevated and hilly. The soil is chiefly a clayey marl, interspersed with rock. There are stone-quarries and serpentine works. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £100; and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The living is a rectory annexed to the rectory* of Grade, in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Ruan, is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower containing three bells. It has several painted windows. There is an endowed school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school is held within the same building. The Wesleyans and Association Methodists have each a place of worship. C. Hawkins, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner.