Mithian, (Cornish: Mydhyen), is in the Hundred and Deanery of Powder. The parish of Mithian is seven miles north-west of Truro, and near the north coast between St Agnes and Perranporth. The picturesque village of Mithian was originally on the branch railway line from Chacewater to Newquay, but this was closed in 1963.
The ecclesiastical parish was created from parts of St Agnes, Kea, Perranzabuloe and Kenwyn parishes, and was gazetted on 24th July 1846. It is located some 5 1/2 miles north-west of Truro. When the parish was founded, it included both the villages of Mithian and Blackwater
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 947 entries.
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Mithian was enumerated as part of St Agnes and Kenwyn parishes.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7450 and was dedicated to St Peter. Mithian is in the Deanery of Powder. This ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1847 principally from the parishes of Kenwyn and Kea, but also partly from Perranzabuloe and St Agnes, to cope with a growing population. The curate appointed to set up the new parish decided to build the church midway between the two villages of Mithian and Blackwater at Chiverton Cross.
The church, which is built of stone in the Decorated style, was built by voluntary contributions in 1861. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south transepts. At the west end is a tower surmounted by a spire. Early in its life, the tower was damaged either by lightning or poor workmanship; because the stone started to crumble, the tower was taken down in 1898 and a new tower without the spire was built in 1928.
From ancient times, at least two ancient chapels had existed in Mithian, one of which at Mawla was reused as a cowshed.
Mithian church closed permanently in 2008. Details about the plans of the church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan chapel in the parish.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1848 - 1977, Burials 1861 - 1977, Marriages 1862 - 1977.
- Baptisms 1849 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1862 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1861 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Mithian has been in the Truro Registration District since its creation. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mithian to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mithian has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Truro Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW745507 (Lat/Lon: 50.312585, -5.169069), Mithian which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Mithian parish became part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
Up to 1971, population figures for Mithian are largely included in Kenwyn parish; from 1981, the figures were recorded separately. The following are separate figures of people listed as living in Mithian ecclesiastical parish.