1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"MOORWINSTOW, (or Morwinstow), a parish in the hundred of Stratton, county Cornwall, 7 miles N.W. of Stratton, its post town. It is situated on Bude Bay near the Bristol Channel, and at the head of the river Tamar. The parish is the most northerly in Cornwall, and contains the hamlets of Woodford, Crosstown, Gooseham, Coombe, Woolley, and Eastcot. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The parish is bounded on the W. by the Bristol Channel, and on the E. by the river Tamar, which, with the Torridge, has its source here. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £390, and the vicarial for £365. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £276, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Morvenna, is situated on the cliffs, and is of great antiquity. It is a Norman structure, abounding with curious details, and has a square tower containing four bells. The S. aisle and chancel were added in 1300, and are dedicated to St. John the Baptist, but other additions and alterations have been made since that period. The S. porch is ornamented with curious figures, as are also the pillars which divide the aisles and nave. There is a screen and monuments of the Kempthornes and Waddons of Tonacombe. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a National school. Bishop Stanbury of Hereford and Sir William Adams, the eminent oculist, were natives of this parish.