The parish of Morval, (Cornish: Morval), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by Liskeard and Menheniot, on the east by St Germans, on the south by St Martins, and on the west by Duloe. The parish consists of rolling countryside and is located just north of the south coast fishing port of Looe. The origin of name is unknown. Morval House was once the home of the Buller and Kitson families. At one time canal boats would come up the river to Sandplace and discharge cargoes of seaweed which would be spread on the fields as fertiliser. The boats would then return to Looe with lime from the kilns.
The only village in the parish is that of Sandplace.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1253 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Morval (HO107/153), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Morval (HO107/1903), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Morval (RG9/1531), Enumeration Districts 11 and 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Morval (RG10/2243), Enumeration Districts 11 and 12 [including Merchant Shipping], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Morval (RG11/2287), Enumeration Districts 11 and 12 [including Merchant Shipping], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Morval (RG12/1812), Enumeration Districts 11 and 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2656, and is dedicated to St Wenna. It was built in the 13th century, and comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, south transept and a vestry. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars. The tower has three stages and low crocketed pinnacles; it contains five bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Association chapel at Widegate. At Sandplace, a chapel was built in 1864 by J F Buller JP, the Lord of the Manor, for the purpose of holding religious services there.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Morval are: C052931, E052931, M052931. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1538 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1542 - 1902, Burials 1538 - 1880, Marriages 1539 - 1946, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1670, BTs 1597 - 1670.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1682 to 1804 (Bishop's transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1730 to 1840 for this parish.
- Marriages 1682 to 1804 (Bishop's transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line marriage records for Morval parish 1813 to 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1539 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of Morval has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930's. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- Photographs of Morval are available.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Morval to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Morval ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which Morval has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Liskeard Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX276575 (Lat/Lon: 50.391964, -4.42655), Morval which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Morval (1729 - 1829) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Morval parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1794 to 1797), Settlement Papers (1744) and Bastardy Bonds (1731 to 1819) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.