Mount Hawke, (Cornish: Menydhhok), is in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It lies to the south of St Agnes and just inland from the sea; it is believed to be named after a family of ropemakers called Hawke. A document dated 1820 related to land for building a Methodist Meeting House 'at a place called Mount Hawke'. The parish containing the village was created from the south-west part of the parish of St Agnes and a small part of the civil parish of Illogan in 1847. Since 1965 many bungalows have been built and the population has trebled. A new school was built in 1980 to replace the first one built in 1870.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In 1841 Mount Hawke was enumerated under St Agnes civil parish.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- HO107/1909. Enumeration Districts 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, 2e, 2f and 2g.
- The 1861 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- The 1861 Census of Mount Hawke (RG9/1554) is also available on-line, transcribed by Jacqy Faull.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census Project, as follows:
- Anglican. The ecclesiastical parish of Mount Hawke was created by an Order in Council in 1846. Before the formation of the ecclesiastical parish in 1847, the inhabitants had used a small building at the bottom of the village in preference to travelling to St Agnes. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7147 and was dedicated to St John the Baptist; it was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter on 5th August 1878. It is constructed of local stone with Bath stone dressings in the Perpendicular style. It consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and a bell turret containing one bell. The registers date from 1846.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan chapels at Mawla, Mount Hawke, Skinner's Bottom and Porth Towan; Bible Christian chapels at Wheal Rose and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Skinner's Bottom. There is still a Methodist chapel in the parish which was still flourishing at the end of the 20th century.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1847 - 1906, Marriages 1878 - 1975.
- Banns. Banns 1878 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1878 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
The parish of Mount Hawke has been in the Truro Registration District since its creation. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Kelly's Directory of Cornwall 1889.
- Kelly's Directory of Mount Hawke in 1914.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mount Hawke to another place.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mount Hawke has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Truro Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW715474 (Lat/Lon: 50.282225, -5.20873), Mount Hawke which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Mount Hawke parish was originally part of St Agnes. When it was created it became part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Up to 1971, population figures of St Agnes include Mount Hawke and Mithian; from 1981, the figures for Mount Hawke were counted as part of St Agnes. The following figures apply only to Mount Hawke.