Hide

Mylor

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"MYLOR, a parish in the hundred of East Kerrier, county Cornwall, 2 miles N.E. of Falmouth, and 3 E. by N. of Penryn. This parish forms a peninsula, bounded on the E., S., and W. by Falmouth Harbour, and on the N. and N.W. by the parishes of St. Gluvias and Perran Arworthal. It is nearly divided into two sections by Mylor Creek, or Pool, at the head of which is situated the village of Mylor Bridge. Until recently the populous village and small seaport of Flushing was also included in this parish, but in 1844 it was constituted a separate ecclesiastical district with the adjoining lands. About two-thirds of the parish is arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with some woodland. The surface is varied by hill and dale, and the lower grounds are watered by numerous streams and several navigable inlets or lakes, the shores of which are studded with marine villas. The substratum is slaty rock with veins of tin and copper. On account of the mildness of its climate this place is much resorted to by invalids. The government have a range of storehouses and a dockyard near the church, and at Flushing is a private dockyard with a building slip, also hot and cold sea-baths. At Perran Wharf, which is partly situated within the parish, is the Perran Foundry, having extensive works for the manufacture of boilers for steam vessels and mine machinery, and on the estuary of Carnon are copper steam works. An oyster fishery is also carried on. In the N.E. part of the parish is Carclew, the mansion of Sir Charles Lemon, Bart.; in the S.W. the ancient mansion of Trefusis, the property of Lords Clinton and Saye, who together own the greater part of the parish. A branch of the Cornwall railway passes along the creek to Falmouth. At Flushing is also a ferry to Falmouth, and on the N.E., at Restronget ferry, a boat conveys passengers and horses to Feock, on the road to Truro. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £453, and the vicarial for £215. The living is a vicarage* with that of Mabe annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £385, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Melor, is an ancient Norman structure, situated on the margin of Mylor Creek, the churchyard wall being washed by the sea. It has a separate bell tower mantled with ivy, and on the N. side a Norman porch enriched with sculpture, while the S. porch has empanelled pillars. The interior contains many monuments and tombs of the ancient families of Donithorne of Carclew, and the Trefuses of Trefusis, also a monument by Westmacott to R. Cocks. In the churchyard is a yew tree one hundred years old, and more than 90 feet in diameter. There are also the parish church of Mabe, which has been consolidated with Mylor, and the church of St. Peter at Flushing, an independent ecclesiastical district, but held by the present Vicar of Mylor. In the church of Mabe is preserved a silver cup and lid, on which is inscribed the date 1276. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Bible Christians, Independents, Baptists, and Unitarians. A school is supported by Sir C. Lemon, Bart."

"FLUSHING, a parochial chapelry and small seaport in the parish of Mylor, hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 21 miles N. of Falmouth, its post town, and 3 E. of Penryn. This is a small port, and was made a separate ecclesiastical district in 1844. It consists of several irregularly built streets, and from the mildness of the climate is much resorted to by invalids. Here is an extensive iron foundry, and a manufactory for steam-engines and other machinery for mining operations. Oyster fishing is carried on, and there is a yard for ship-building. A dry dock 190 feet long by 60 broad and 18 deep was constructed in 1820. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, in the gift of the vicar. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Bible Christians have each a chapel. There is a National school."

"LITTLE FALMOUTH, a hamlet in the parish of Mylor, hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 2 miles N.E. of Falmouth. It is situated close to Flushing, on the Carreg road, at the ferry.