The parish of Pelynt, (Cornish: Plywnennys), is in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by Lanreath and Duloe, on the east by Duloe and Talland, on the south by Talland and Lansallos, and on the west by Lansallos and Lanreath. The name means 'parish of' plus name of saint whose identity is not known for certain, but is considered to be St Nonna, the mother of St David of Wales. The small village of Pelynt lies to the north of the coastal resort of Polperro.

The original Trelawne House, home of the Trelawney family, was built in the 13th century. Sir Jonathan Trelawny was one of the seven bishops imprisoned in the Tower of London in 1688 for refusing to implement the Declaration Of Indulgence edicts of King James II; They were tried for sedition, but aquitted. He is the the subject of the Cornish Anthem bearing his surname. The nearby manor of Tregarrick was the home of the Winslades. John Winslade was executed in 1549 for his support of the Cornish Prayer Book rebellion.

The only village is the Churchtown.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 426 entries.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2055 and was dedicated to St Nonna. It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south transept or Trelawny aisle (exchanged for the north aisle in 1680), and a vestry. The arcade consists of four elliptical arches with plain soffits, supported on cylindrical monolith pillars. In the trelawny transept was preserved Bishop Trelawny's crozier. There are a south porch, a priest's door, and a transept door. The tower is of three stages, is 62 feet high, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles tipped with balls. The tower has diagonal buttresses, and the pinnacles rise from embattled turrets. The belfry contained four bells.
  • Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Association and Wesleyan Methodists both had chapels in the parish.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Pelynt are: C052971, E052971, M052971. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1610 - 1837.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1678 - 1993, Burials 1720 - 1992, Marriages 1693 - 1971, Boyd's Marriage Index 1610 - 1673, BTs 1610 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1846 to 1900 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1720 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Banns. Banns 1824 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • Marriages 1693 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line marriage records for Pelynt parish 1813 to 1837.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1610 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1876 to 1900 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of Pelynt has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Pelynt which are provided by:



The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"PELYNT, (or Plynt), a parish in the hundred of West, county Cornwall, 9 miles S. of Liskeard, its post town, and 22 E. of Plymouth. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Plewent, and was then held by Robert, Earl of Mortaigne. There are numerous barrows in the parish. The soil is of a mixed nature, with a subsoil of slate. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400, and the vicarial for £235. The glebe comprises 50 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £240. The church, dedicated to St. Nunn, has a tower containing four bells. The church has a curious monument to Francis Buller, also one to the Achym family, bearing date 1586. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. The executors of General J. F. Buller are lords of the manor. At Trelawney, in this parish, are remains of a castellated mansion built by Lord Bonville in the 15th century.



OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.


Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Pelynt ecclesiastical parish:



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX202550 (Lat/Lon: 50.367726, -4.529162), Pelynt which are provided by:



Apprenticeship Indentures for Pelynt (1810 - 1833) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.


Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Pelynt parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1692 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.


  • Population in 1801 - 630 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 708 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 750 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 804 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 834 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 799 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 729 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 769 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 671 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 662 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 506 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 494 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 476 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 464 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 486 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 475 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 712 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1095 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1069 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1124 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1296 persons


The parish comprises 4674 acres of land, 2 acres of water and one acre of foreshore.