The Pendeen (Cornish: Penndin) parish name means 'headland of a fort' it was tranferred to the 19th century mining village on the south-west 'toe' of Cornwall. The Geevor tin mine incorporated part of the old Levant mine, with one gallery 2,000 feet below the sea-bed. Pendeen House was the birthplace of William Borlase, the antiquarian and writer on the history of Cornwall.
The parish of Pendeen encompasses several hamlets; Bojewyan, Boscaswell, Lower Boscaswell, Trewellard, Carnyorth and Levant being the main ones. Renowned for its copper and tin mines Pendeen grew in size to serve the mining community until the turn of the century. With the decline of the industry many of its sons emigrated seeking new lives in mines opening up all over the world and there are few old families without some connection to America, Australia, South Africa and other mining areas. The Pendeen Lighthouse, built in 1900, is open to the public. On the 29th October 1919, over 30 miners were trapped and killed in the Levant Mine disater when the man-engine, bringing up miners, failed; reports on this incident are available on-line.
The parish was created from part of St Just-in-Penwith parish on 9th January 1846.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)