Penzance St John
The parish occupies the south-eastern part of the town of Penzance. This parish, (Cornish: Pennsans Sen Jowann), was created in 1882 from Penzance, St Mary parish. The civil parish of St John is now but a part of Penzance Borough.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 49 entries.
This parish was formed in 1882. Census information for this parish (1891) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW4730 and was dedicated to St John the Baptist. The parish was formed from St Mary's parish in 1883 to serve the eastern part of Penzance. The church is sited at the top of Trewartha terrace; it is a building of moor stone, with granite dressings, in the Early English style. It was erected in 1881 at cost of £7,000, and consist of chancel, nave of four bays, transept, aisles, east and west porches and has one bell; there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1881.
- CRO Records. The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1881 - 1900, Marriages 1882 - 1900. Penzance St. John Registers 1881-1992 (original + microfiche) CRO P181/1/1, 4-6.
- LDS Church Records. The LDS Church batch numbers for Penzance are: P002611, Bible Christian Circuit C065301, The Lower Meeting Independent, East Street C065281, Wesleyan Methodists C065291. These are searchable by surname.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1881 to 1912 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Penzance St John to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Penzance St John has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Penzance Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW474308 (Lat/Lon: 50.123396, -5.535323), Penzance St John which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Penzance St John parish was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Population figures for this parish are included as part of Penzance Town. However, in 1901 the population for Penzance, St John is recorded as 1290 persons.