The parish of Perranuthnoe, (Cornish: Pyranudhno), (Little Pieran, Lanuthnoe), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It is bounded on the north, east and west by St Hilary, and on the south by Mount's Bay. The name is composed of the saint's name, Piran, plus the name of the manor: Uthno. The village is situated on the south coast of Cornwall within sight of St Michael's Mount. Prussia Cove, in this parish, was home to perhaps the most famous 17th century family of Cornish smugglers, the Carters. John Carter, the eldest son, named the cove Prussia Cove, because of his deep admiration for Fredrick the Great, King of Prussia. John Carter himself became known as the King of Prussia, as he engaged in ever more daring encounters with the revenue. Although John Carter's cottage was demolished in 1906, the cove still holds the romance of its notorious connections with wrecking and smuggling.
Within the parish is the village of Goldsithney which means: 'Sithney Fair', a fair was moved to Goldsithney from Sithney in 1283. The only other village is the Churchtown.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Perranuthnoe (HO107/143), Enumeration Districts 5 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Perranuthnoe (HO107/1918), Enumeration Districts 1a, 1b and 1c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Perranuthnoe is listed in Volume 26. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG9/1591), Enumeration Districts 5 to 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG10/2336) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census projectas follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG11/2343), Enumeration Districts 5 to 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG12/1855) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW5329 and was dedicated to St Piran & St Nicholas. It was originally erected in the middle of the 13th century, and it consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept and south porch. The north aisle was added in Tudor times when the tower was also added. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars. There is also a north door. The tower has three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contained three bells. The church was restored in 1883.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and Association Methodists each had a chapel in Goldsithney; the Wesleyan Methodists also had chapels at the Churchtown and in Trevean.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Perranuthnoe are: C022231/2/3, E022231, J022233, K022233, M022231. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage for this parish is 1562 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1562 - 1883, Burials 1562 - 1906, Marriages 1589 - 1971, Boyd's Marriage Index 1589 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 -1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials in the parish.
- Baptisms 1726 to 1883 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1726 to 1841 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1589 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore marriages 1589 to 1812, and parish transcriptions 1837 to 1901 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Perranuthnoe has been in the Penzance Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Perranuthnoe to another place.
"PERRAN-UTHNOE, (or Perran-uthoe), a parish in the hundred of Penwith, county Cornwall, 1 mile S.E. of Marazion, its post town, and 4½ miles from Penzance. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on Mount's Bay, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Goldsithney, at which place was a chapel dedicated to St. James, but which, having become dilapidated, has recently been taken down. The soil is of a loamy nature, with a subsoil of killas. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the mines, of which the South Wheal Neptune copper mines, and the St. Perran tin mine, are the most considerable; the former runs for some distance under the sea. The parish is intersected by the roads from Falmouth and Truro to Penzance. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £290, and there are about 17 acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £320. The church dedicated to SS. Piran and Nicholas, is an ancient stone structure, with a square embattled tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1562. The Wesleyans and Wesleyan Association Methodists have each a place of worship. There is a National school for both sexes, built by Lady Carrington. Acton Castle is the principal residence. W. J. Trevelyan, Esq., is lord of the manor. An annual fair is held on the 5th August at Goldsithney for cattle, cloth, and hardware.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1087. The following places have been identified in Perranuthnoe ecclesiastical parish:
- Perranuthnoe (Odenol), Grid Reference 538295.
You can see the administrative areas in which Perranuthnoe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Penzance Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW539296 (Lat/Lon: 50.115487, -5.444414), Perranuthnoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Perranuthnoe parish was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1716 to 1769) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
Wills & Admons for Perranuthnoe parish, 1661-1730 are available on-line.