The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PROBUS, a parish in the W. division of the hundred of Powder, county Cornwall, 4 miles N.E. of Truro, its post town, 2 S.W. of Grampound, and 5½ N.E. of the West Cornwall railway. The parish, which is extensive, comprises a part of the borough of Grampound, and the hamlet of Tresillian. It is a healthy village, being situated on an eminence over 300 feet above sea level. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a loamy nature. A market was formerly held in the village, which skirts the road from London through Plymouth to the Land's End. At the time of the Domesday Survey there was a college for 5 prebends, founded and endowed by Edward the Confessor, and afterwards given by Henry I. to the bishop and church at Exeter. There are traces of an ancient chapel at Golden. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value, £509, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to SS. Probus and Grace, has a lofty pinnacled tower, containing seven bells. The church is constructed of granite, and was erected by the parishioners in 1550, but has since been enlarged. The interior contains tombs of the Hawkins family, of Trevithian. The parochial charities produce about £110 per annum, of which £10 goes to Williams's school. There are National and parochial schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Near Carvoza are traces of a Roman camp, extending over 7 acres. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Walvedon and Golden were forfeited by Tregion for harbouring a priest named Mayne, who was hung. C. H. Hawkins, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Fairs for cattle and sheep are held on 5th and 23rd April, 5th July, and 17th September."
"GRAMPOUND, a township and post town in the parishes of Creed and Probus, W. division of the hundred of Powder, county Cornwall, 7 miles N.E. of Truro, and 14 S.W. of Bodmin. It is situated on the main road from the first-named town to St. Austell. The river Fal flows through the township. This was formerly a market town and parliamentary borough, but was disfranchised in 1821. The Romans are believed to have had a station here called Voluba. Divine service is performed on Sunday evenings in a small chapel, dedicated to St. Naunter. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship, and there is a National school. Here are some remains of an ancient church. Fairs are held on the 18th January, 11th June, and the Tuesdays following Lady Day and Michaelmas Day."