The parish of Quethiock, (Cornish: Gwydhek), is pronounced "Gwithick"; anciently called Cruetheke, it is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by St Ive and St Mellion, on the east by Pillaton and the detached part of St Stephens called Howton, on the south by Landrake and St Germans, and on the west by Menheniot. It is named after the Old Cornish for a 'wooded place'. It is situated about 3 miles to the east of Liskeard and lies just to the east of the River Tiddy. On the north is the River Lynher. At Clapper Bridge there is an ancient bridge of three arches over the Lynher which connects this parish with Pillaton. There are many small woods and isolated farms in this undulating parish. The main industry is farming.
The villages are the Churchtown, Trehunest and Blunts; the last-named is somtimes called The Sun, the name of an inn which was once there.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- Transcriptions from Quethiock (St Hugh's and the later cemetery), are available on the Cornish Cemeteries site.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 797 entries.
- There are some photographs of Quethiock Churchyard.
- More gravestones from Quethiock are available.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Quethiock (HO107/133), Enumeration District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- It has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
- The 1851 Census of Quethiock (HO107/1900), Enumeration District 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Quethiock is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Quethiock (RG9/1525), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Quethiock (RG10/2231), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Landrake (RG11/2282), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Quethiock (RG12/1808), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3164 and was dedicated to Saint Hugo (Hugh) on the 14th April 1346. The structure consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south transept, and a north transeptal projection of about five feet called the Trecarne transept. The entrances are a south porch and a chancel door. The tower is a unique structure; it consists of three stages but the staircase only reaches the floor of the second stage on the south side where it terminates in a gable covered with slate. The belfry contains three bells, and the parapet is embattled.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan chapel in the Churchtown, and a Bible Christian chapel at Blunts.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Quethiock are: C021871/2/3, E053021, M053021. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1573 - 1852.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1574 - 1984, Burials 1574 - 1884, Marriages 1574 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1853 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1739 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
- Marriages. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1573 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of Quethiock is in the St Germans Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Quethiock to another place.
"QUETHIOCK, (or Quithick), a parish in the middle division of the hundred of East, county Cornwall, 4 miles E. of Liskeard, its post town, and 9 from Saltash. The parish, which is of large extent, is bounded on the E. by the river Lynher, and on the W. by the Tidy, or Tide. The land belongs chiefly to Coryton of Pentilly. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil in the southern portion is rich, but gradually deteriorates towards the northern boundary. There are numerous stone and slate quarries, also mines of manganese, which have been occasionally worked with profit, and indications of copper, lead, and silver. The great tithes are in two portions, one belonging to the vicar of this parish, and the other to the incumbent of the chantry of Haccombe, in Devon; the tithes for each of these separate portions have been commuted for a rent-charge of £340, and there are about 30 acres of vicarial glebe. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £326, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Hugh, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about, £4 per annum. The church has several bronze tablets, the earliest of which bears date 1371, also a brass of R. Kingdom, his wife, and 15 children, bearing date 1462. There is a National school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A. Coryton, Esq., is lord of the manor. A fair for cattle is held on the last Monday in January.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Quethiock ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which Quethiock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line a webpage for the history of Quethiock parish.
- Map of the St Germans Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX313647 (Lat/Lon: 50.457811, -4.377999), Quethiock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Quethiock parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.