Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Ruan Lanihorne

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Ruan Lanihorne

Primary tabs

The parish of Ruan Lanihorne, (Cornish: Lannrihorn), (Ruan-Lanyhorne, or Ruanlanihorne) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by the River Fal, which separates it from Cornelly, on the east by Veryan, on the south by Philleigh, and on the west by Philleigh and the Fal, which here separates it from Lamorran. 'Ruan' refers to St Ruan or Rumon, patron saint of the local church. This partially wooded and mainly agricultural parish is on the banks of the River Fal, which connects to the sea via Carrick Roads and via river to Truro to the north-west. The local lord of the manor built a castle here in medieval times to guard the river crossing, but there is little trace of it remaining today.

In the 19th century silt was unloaded to make bricks at Trelonk and a passenger ferry service to Truro existed for the population of the Roseland peninsula. Today it is a quiet residential village. Besides the Churchtown, the other villages are Ruan High Lanes and Treworga.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 336 entries.



Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (HO107/148), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (HO107/1909), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Ruan Lanihorne is listed in Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which it can be purchased.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (RG9/1553), Enumeration Districts 7 and 8d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871.
    • The 1871 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (RG10/2275), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (RG11/2307), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (RG12/1827), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ruan Lanihorne area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8942 and was dedicated to St Rumon on 17th October 1321. It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept. The arcade has six four-centred arches of porcelain stone. A shield on the south cornice of the nave bears the words: Built 1321; another on the north cornice: Restored 1866. The entrances are a south porch and a north door; over the outer arch or the former is the date 1669. The tower is of one stage and contains two bells.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Tregiswin, and a Bible Christian chapel at Treworga.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1608 - 1919, Burials 1608 - 1992, Marriages 1608 - 1990, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1670, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812, BTs 1608 - 1670.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1608 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The baptisms of the St Mawes Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, taken from LDS film 2276204, images 1789-1989 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints) are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC. These records relate to the whole of the Roseland Peninsula including St Mawes, St Just in Roseland, St Anthony in Roseland, Gerrans, Portscatho, Philleigh, Veryan, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
    • Transcription of the baptisms of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit 1838-1907, taken from LDS film 2276210 images 1913-2413 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints). These records relate to several parishes close to Mevagissey including Gorran, Veryan, St Ewe, St Austell, Gerrans, St Just-in-Roseland, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1685 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
  • Banns. Banns 1755 to 1809 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1608 to 1836, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • Phillimore's marriages 1608 to 1836, and marriage transcriptions 1608 to 1911, for this parish are also available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Burials.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
    • Burials 1608 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).

Civil Registration

The parish of Ruan Lanihorne has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Ruan Lanihorne which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ruan Lanihorne to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for Ruan Lanihorne. The list discusses all genealogy to do with the town and parish. To join or leave a list, send an email to: eng-cornwall-ruan-l[at]rootsweb[dot]com with the single word 'subscribe' or unsubscribe (as appropriate) in the text. The subscribing/unsubscribing (joining/leaving) process is entirely automatic. It should be realised that there isn't any person involved in adding or subtracting list members, so such messages should not be sent to the mailing list itself; they will not be actioned.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ruan Lanihorne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Ruan Lanihorne parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.



  • Population in 1801 - 329 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 328 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 376 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 424 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 444 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 410 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 325 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 360 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 325 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 301 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 254 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 248 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 211 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 210 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 197 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 242 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 248 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 255 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 266 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 250 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 252 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Ruan Lanihorne are available on-line.



The parish comprises 2228 acres of land.



The Hearth Tax entries for Ruan Lanihorne (1660-1664) are available on-line.