The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SAN CREED, (or Sancreet), a parish in the hundred of Penwith, county Cornwall, 4 miles S.W. of Penzance, its post town. The parish, which is of large extent and chiefly agricultural, is traversed on the S. by the road from Penzance to the Land's End, and on the N. by that to St. Just. The soil consists of killas upon a subsoil of granite. The substratum abounds in mineral wealth, and granite of excellent quality is found. There are some ancient tin-works on Beacon Hill, and a stream work on Trevenyan Moor, but the latter is now exhausted. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £509 10s. 7d., of which £344 belongs to the vicarage, and the glebe comprises 152 acres, but the greater part is unenclosed. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £265, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Creed, has a square embattled tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments. There were formerly three chapels, of which some traces remain. A Sunday-school is held at the church. There are places of worship belonging to the Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, also a mixed National school for both sexes. Viscount Falmouth is lord of the manor and principal landowner. In the churchyard is an ancient cross, and at Drift are two rude upright stones supposed to mark the grave of some ancient warrior. Near the village of Braham are remains of an ancient castle called Caer-bran, and at a place called Bodinnar is a monument consisting of two concentric walls, the larger 55 feet in diameter.