Sheviock, (Cornish: Seviek), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is a coastal parish south of St Germans on the west bank of the Lynher River, exposed to the prevailing south-westerly winds. It is bounded on the north by St Germans Creek, on the east by Antony, on the south by Whitesand Bay, and on the west by St Germans. The chief villages of the parish are: the Churchtown (Sheviock), Crafthole and Port Wrinkle (Trewrinkle). The tiny harbour of Port Wrinkle was once an important fishing centre. Today the area is popular for holidays.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 703 entries.
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Sheviock (HO107/135), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of Sheviock (HO107/1900), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Sheviock is listed in Volume 8. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Sheviock (RG9/1524), Enumeration District 1c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Sheviock (RG10/2230), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Sheviock (RG11/2281), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Sheviock (RG12/1807), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3755 and was supposidly dedicated to St Peter & St Paul on 13th October 1259. Now it is dedicated to St Mary.
It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept. A north transept was removed to make way for a perpendicular aisle. The chancel was restored in 1851 in memory of the then late rector. The church was restored again in 1871. The arcade has six pointed arches; the dressings throughout are of Caen stone. There is a tower which possesses a spire, and which had been shortened during repair.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1867, at Crofthole. This chapel had a school attached.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Sheviock are: E001891, M001891/2, P001891/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1570 - 1871.
- CRO Records. The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1624 - 1871, Burials 1569 - 1890, Marriages 1570 - 1840, Boyd's Marriage Index 1570 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- CFHS Records. The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Documentary Records. Documentary evidence may be available from public libraries: Jewers, Arthur J. Part of the Sheviock Parish Register. Notes & Gleanings vol. V, 53-54 (1892) pp.57-78. [Extensive transcript of early PRs many of which were already in very poor condition: baptisms 1624 to 1666, marriages 1570 to 1670, burials 1569 to 1654].
- Specific Records. The following specific records have been identified:
- Baptisms 1624 to 1871 (with gaps in early years) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1685 to 1850 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
- Banns. Banns 1824 to 1905 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore marriages 1570 to 1811, and marriage transcriptions 1570 to 1840, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1570 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf formats.
The parish of Sheviock is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sheviock to another place.
"SHEVIOCK, a parish in the S. division of East hundred, county Cornwall, 6 miles from Devonport, its post town, and 31 S.E. of St. Germans. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on Whitesand Bay, and at Wrinkle Cove is a pier. This parish is bounded on the N. by the river Lynker, and on the S. by the English Channel, and includes the hamlet of Crofthole. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the pilchard fishery, but the greater number in agriculture. About three-fourths of the land are arable, and the remainder wood land with a small proportion of pasture. The soil is a light loam, except near the river, where it is a stiffish yellow clay. Numerous rivulets intersect the parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £335, and the glebe comprises 62 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £412. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient structure, with a spired tower and two bells. The interior of the church contains effigies of the Dawnays, and a monument to Sir Edward and Lady Courtenay. There is a National school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Sheviock ecclesiastical parish:
- Sheviock (Samioch, Savioch), Grid Reference 370551.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sheviock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Germans Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX368550 (Lat/Lon: 50.372337, -4.295675), Sheviock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Sheviock (1794 - 1834) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Sheviock parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1744 to 1837), and Settlement Papers (1791 to 1828), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.