The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SITHNEY, a parish in the hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 2 miles N.W. of Helston, its post town, and within which borough the parish is included. The village, which is large, is situated on the high road to Penzance, Camborne, and Redruth. The parish includes the chief part of Porthleven fishing coves, and part of Loon Pool in Mount's Bay. There is a small harbour at Porthleven capable of floating vessels of 200 tons. The soil is of a loamy and sandy nature, with a subsoil of marl and granite. A large portion of the inhabitants are engaged in agriculture, and some in the mines. The substratum abounds with minerals, and there are mines of lead, copper, and tin, the two last being still worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £368, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Sithney, is an ancient stone structure with a square tower and three bells. The interior contains several mural monuments, &c., and some remains of stained glass. There is also a district church at Porthleven, erected in 1841, and dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £206. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school held at the church. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. A parochial feast occurs on the first Sunday in August. On Longstown Down was the M?n-amber logan stone, and many stone battleaxes have been found at Venton Vedna."
"PORTHLEVEN, a village and fishing cove in the parish of Sithney, hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 3 miles W. of Helston. It is situated on the northern shore of Mount's Bay in the English Channel. It has a small harbour capable of admitting vessels of 200 tons, which land coals and timber, the chief imports of the place. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £160, in the patronage of the Vicar of Sithney. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was erected in 1841."