The parish of Petherwin, alias South Peterwin, (Cornish: Pederwynn Dheghow), is situated in the Hundred of East and Deanery of Trigg Minor. It is bounded on the north by St Thomas-by-Launceston and St Mary Magdalene, Launceston, on the east by Launceston, Lawhitton and Lezant, on the south by Lezant and Lewannick, and on the west by Trewen and St Thomas-by-Launceston. The town of Launceston provides employment for many of the population of this parish, which lies in an agricultural area one and a half miles to the west of the town and on the north-eastern bank of the River Inny. Slate quarrying was an important industry in the 19th century.
The principal villages of the parish are the Churchtown and Dawes Lane.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line monumental inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 687 entries
- Methodist Chapel - 302 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of South Petherwin (HO107/134), Enumeration Districts 9 to 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The census has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of South Petherwin (HO107/1899), Enumeration Districts 1a and 1b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of South Petherwin (RG9/1521), Enumeration Districts 10 and 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of South Petherwin (RG10/2207), Enumeration Districts 10 and 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of South Petherwin (RG11/2278), Enumeration Districts 10 and 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of South Petherwin (RG12/1805), Enumeration District 10 and 11 is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3081 and was dedicated to St Paternus. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and vestry. The chancel was restored in the 19th century. The arcades each consist of six four-centred arches, supported on monolith granite pillars. There are north and south porches. The tower has three stages, and is buttressed on the square; it is wholly built of local stone apart from the battlements and pinnacles which are of granite. The belfry contains five bells and a clock.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist and a Baptist chapel in the Churchtown, and a Bible Christian chapel at Trecrogo Lane-end.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for South Petherwin are: M866941. These are searchable by surname.
- This parish is NOT included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1656 - 1979, Burials 1656 - 1978, Marriages 1656 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1656 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812, BTs 1608 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriage
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1736 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Phillimore marriages 1656 to 1812, and marriage transcriptions 1736 to 1781 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1608 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf formats.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of South Petherwin is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Petherwin to another place.
"SOUTH PETHERWIN, a parish in the hundred of East, county Cornwall, 2 miles S.W. of Launceston, its post town. The village, which is large, is chiefly agricultural. Blue slate and dark limestone abound. There are also traces of copper, lead, and silver. The parish contains the hamlet of Trecorgo. The South Petherwin hounds hunt here. The great tithes of South Petherwin have been commuted for a rent-charge of £313, and the vicarial for one of £250 10s., and the glebe comprises 9 acres. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Trewen annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £349, in the patronage of the University of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Paternus, is an ancient stone structure, and has a square and pinnacled tower containing six bells. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans, Bible Christians, and Baptists have each a place of worship. Trebersey is the principal residence. Fairs are held on the second Tuesdays in May and October for toys and pedlery.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which South Petherwin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Launceston Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX310818 (Lat/Lon: 50.611785, -4.390671), South Petherwin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
South Petherwin parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1778 to 1828) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.