The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SOUTHILL, a parish in the middle division of East hundred, county Cornwall, 3 miles N.W. of Callington, its post town, and 9 E. of Liskeard. The parish is situated betwixt the rivers Tamar, Lynher, and Inny, and near the high road from Callington to Bodmin. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, but copper, lead, and silver mines have been worked. In the vicinity is an ancient British encampment designated Catsonbury. The living is a rectory,* with the perpetual curacy of Callington annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £748. The church, dedicated to St. Sampson de South Hill, is an ancient stone structure. The mother church of Callington is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, of which £5 go to Knill's school. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Wesleyan chapel. A Sunday-school is held at the church. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor."