The parish, (Cornish: Eglosalan), is named after Saint Allen. St Allen Parish was in the western division of the Hundred of Powder, in the Deanery of Powder, and is surrounded by St Erme, St Clements, Kenwyn, Perranzabuloe and Newlyn East; it is now in the Carrick district and is situated to the north of Truro. The village comprises one or two houses only. It is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.
The parish is mainly farmland with some areas of woodland and former mine workings to the North. There are a number of small hamlets and farmsteads dotted around the parish.
The principal settlement in the parish is at Zelah. This village seems to have been once longer (in area) than it is now. At the beginning of the twentieth century, it had a school, Wesleyan and United Methodist Chapels and a Mission Church built in 1883. This church, because of the remoteness of St Allen, was used for evening services, especially in winter, and for weekday events such as classes of all kinds, missionary and other lectures.
The main road - later the busy A30 - passed through Zelah until 1992, but the creation of a by-pass was too late to save the remaining Methodist Chapel and the shop. The school had long since closed, and the mission church had been disused for some years.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line monumental inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 306 entries
- The Municipal Cemetery - 202 entries
- A list of those who were drowned in East Wheal Rose Mine disaster on the 9th of July 1846 are listed on-line courtesy of the OPC.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Allen (HO107/147), Enumeration Districts 12 and 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Allen (HO107/1910), Enumeration Districts 1a and 1b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Allen is listed in Volume 19.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Allen (RG9/1557), Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Allen (RG10/2280), Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Allen (RG11/2310), Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Allen (RG12/1829) Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW 8250 and was dedicated to Saint Alunus. The church is supposed to be from the 15th century; it consists of a nave, chancel and south aisle, separated by an arcade of six four-centred arches of granitem, a south porch, a north door locked and a priest's door. The chancel has, in addition to the eastern window, a single lancet in the north wall. The tower appears to date from the 12th century, and is of three stages; it is battlemented and is finished with a cone on which the vane is fixed. There are three bells.
The church was extensively restored in 1873-74, and considerable additional restoration work was undertaken in 1989-1990, which included the new vestibule room at the West End of the church, which can serve as a vestry, kitchen and meeting place.
There was a Missionary church erected in 1883 in Zelah, but this now appears to be closed. Details about the plans of this church are available on-line.
The ecclesiastical parish of St Allen united with Kenwyn on 1 July 1991 by an Order in Council.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan and United Methodist chapels in the parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Allen are: C0553431, P006361. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1611 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1680 - 1857, Burials 1680 - 1874, Marriages 1680 - 1977, Boyd's Marriage Index 1611 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1611 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1680 to 1790, and 1812 to 1900, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (COCP).
- The OPC has placed on-line baptisms at St Allen as follows:
- Baptisms 1891 to 1900.
- Baptisms 1901 to 1910 (to follow).
- The OPC has also placed on-line St Allen Non-Conformist Baptisms: Truro Bible Christian Circuit, 1822 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1611 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Parish Marriages, including Phillimore's 1611 to 1812, and 1813 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (COCP).
- The OPC has placed on-line marriages at St Allen as follows:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1680 to 1920 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (COCP).
- The OPC has placed on-line burials at St Allen as follows:
The parish of St Allen has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Allen to another place.
"ST. ALLEN, a parish in the western division of the hundred of Powder, in the county of Cornwall, 4 miles to the N. of Truro. Allen river flows through it, and joins the river Fal at Truro. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £174, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Alleyn. There is an old encampment with a triple fosse, called Gwarnike, in this parish. A farm near it was formerly the seat of the Bevills. It is the custom to hold a parish feast on Rogation Sunday. The parish contains 3,501 acres.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted..
- The OPC for St Allen is Blanche Charles, who has produced a genealogical website for St Allen, Newlyn East, Perranzabuloe and Withiel parishes, and who offers look-ups of parish register, census and Directory information of the parish.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Allen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Truro Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW822506 (Lat/Lon: 50.315079, -5.060749), St Allen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
St Allen parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
In 1745, there were 42 families and no dissenters in St Allen. (Report by Rev. Richard Buckland, Vicar).