The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. ALLEN, a parish in the western division of the hundred of Powder, in the county of Cornwall, 4 miles to the N. of Truro. Allen river flows through it, and joins the river Fal at Truro. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £174, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Alleyn. There is an old encampment with a triple fosse, called Gwarnike, in this parish. A farm near it was formerly the seat of the Bevills. It is the custom to hold a parish feast on Rogation Sunday. The parish contains 3,501 acres.