St Clement, (Cornish: Morhesk), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by St Allen and St Erme, on the east by Probus, the detached portion of St Erme, and Tresillian Creek, which separates it from Merther and St Michael Penkivel, south by the Truro river which separates it from Kea and a part of Kenwyn, and on the West by the City of Truro (St Mary's parish), and part of Kenwyn. The parish is named after its patron, Saint Clement.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1984, the parish was divided into St Clement Urban and St Clement Rural; the Urban segment was incorporated into the City of Truro. Today, St Clement is little more than a suburb of that City.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 833 entries.
- Separately, the Truro Municipal City Cemetery, appropriated in 1840, is located within this parish. The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for this municipal (Public) cemetery - 4096 entries
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Clement (HO107/147), Enumeration Districts 6 to 11 and Workhouses,is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Clement (HO107/1910) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Clement is listed in Volume 19. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Clement (RG9/1557) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Clement (RG10/2281), Enumeration Districts 9 [Mother Church] to 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Clement, Truro, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Clement (RG12/1829) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8543 and was dedicated to St Clement on 8th October 1259. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The arcade has six semi-circular arches of St Stephen's stone, supported on monolith pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a west door. The tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles. It contains three bells. Over the entrance to the first landing of the tower are the initials F.K.I. with the date 1326.
There were also Mission Churches at Buckshead and Malpass in this parish. Details about the plans of these churches are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There is a chapel for the Bible Christians in the parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Clement are: C053101, C026411.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1543 - 1837; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1543 - 1939, Burials 1538 - 1978, Marriages 1539 - 1962, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1672, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1608 - 1672.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1821 to 1901 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1707 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- The Cornwall Parish Registers Index contains baptism details (1821 to 1901) for this parish. The index is searcheable by surname.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1538 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages 1538 to 1837 (Phillimore's) and 1538 to 1901 (parish transcripts), in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of St Clement has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Clement to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Buryan ecclesiastical parish:
- Moresk (Moireis), Grid Reference 853434.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Clement has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this parish; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW846456 (Lat/Lon: 50.271099, -5.0248), St Clement which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Clement (1778 - 1864) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- The Truro Union workhouse was located within this parish.
St Clement parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1702 to 1734, 1796 to 1811 and 1823 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1752 to 1805) and Bastardy Bonds (1703 to 1804), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
In 1895, the parish of St Clement was divided into St Clement Urban and St Clement Rural; the Urban segment was incorporated into the City of Truro.