St Endellion (aka St Endillyon), commonly called Endellion, (Cornish: Sen Endelyn), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and the Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by the sea, on the east by St Teath, on the south by St Kew and St Minver, and on the west by St Minver. There are many legends about the saint which gave her name to this church and parish. One is that she was the daughter of the Welsh king Broccan, another that she was the god-daughter of King Arthur, who helped her when a local lord killed her cow. It is the only church known to be dedicated to this saint. The parish is on the north coast of Cornwall south of Port Isaac. The high ground upon which the church stands renders its tower a conspicuous object at a considerable distance, and was a landmark from the sea.
Port Isaac, or more properly Portissuk, is a Saxon port and a village within this parish, but about a mile and a half from the Churchtown. Port Isaac was created a separate parish in 1913. Besides the Churchtown, the other villages are Trelights, and Trewetha (Trewether). Besides fishing activities, other occupations included mining and agriculture.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 1305 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Endellion (HO107/152), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Endellion (HO107/1904), Enumeration Districts 2a and 2b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Endellion (RG9/1538), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Endellion (RG10/2251), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Endellion (RG11/2293), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Endellion (RG12/1817), Enumeration District 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9978 and was dedicated to St Endelienta. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades are each of five four-centred arches with monolith pillars, all of granite; they are held together by roughly carved tie beams. There is a south porch and a priest's door. The tower is believed to have been built from granite brought from Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel. It is of three stages and finished with battlements and pinnacles. It contains six bells.
The church is first recorded in Bishop Brantyngham's registers, circa 1380. A history of Endellion Church is available.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and the Bible Christians built chapels in Trelights.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Endellion are: C002371/2/3, M002371, P002371. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1684 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1732 - 1967, Burials 1738 - 1968, Marriages 1735 - 1970, Boyd's Marriage Index 1614 - 1812, BTs 1614 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1828 to 1844 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1740 to 1850 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- St Endellion/Port Isaac United Methodist Free Church Baptisms 1868 - 1900.
The parish of St Endellion is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- There is a parish council website also available.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Endellion to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Endellion ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which St Endellion has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Bodmin Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX000795 (Lat/Lon: 50.580479, -4.826454), St Endellion which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The parish of St Endellion was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The parish of Port Isaac was created from part of this parish in 1913.