The parish of St Ervan, (Cornish: Sen Erven), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by St Merryn and Padstow, on the east by St Petroc Minor (now known as Little Petherick) and St Columb Major, on the south by Mawgan in Pydar, and on the west by St Eval. The parish of St Ervan is located near the north coast of Cornwall, about three miles south-west of Padstow. The church, which is dedicated to an early Celtic saint, nestles on the side of a hill, the lane beyond plunging deeply down to end at a ford beside Millingworth Mill. When the mill was in use, St Ervan had an annual fair on 10th October; it ceased operating around 1850.
Besides the Churchtown, the villages in the parish are: Rumford and Penrose. The parish also contains the following farms: Trembleathe Barton, Trevengenow, Trewinnick, Treravel, Trenouth, Bogee, Treleigh, Pentruse, Trethewey, Eddystone and Treburrick.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Moira Tangye has published a new book on the Parish called The Book of St Ervan - The Story of a Rural Parish (ISBN - 1 84114 494 0). The book covers the history of the parish from the point of view of the families who have lived there and it contains hundreds of photographs too.
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 184 entries.
- Methodist Chapel - 130 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Ervan (HO107/150), Enumeration District 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Ervan (HO107/1905), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1861 Census of St Merryn (RG9/1540), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Ervan (RG10/2253), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Ervan (RG11/2294), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Ervan (RG12/1818), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8970 and was dedicated to St Hermes. The church comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south transept. There is a north door and a south porch. The tower is of two stages and is finished with battlements; it had three bells.
The church is tucked away in the depths of the Cornish countryside in the centre of St.Ervan Churchtown with its Victorian Rectory and School-house and its older "Kiddlywink" (The Farmhouse) and Glebe Farm. The lane from the church runs down to a mill known to date from 1276, with a holy well on the right, halfway down. The pure water of which are still used for christenings. The church was supported by the Arundells who lived at the manor of Trembleath as early as 1240 and the first mention of the church that survives is 1208.
The present church was built in the 13th and 14th centuries and it has never been enlarged. The original tower, 50 feet high and built in the 14th/15th centuries had the upper part brought down by explosives in the 1880s, but it was not properly capped until 1956 and now stands 24 feet high. The chancel has a twist to the south. There are 10 slate memorials and 2 marble memorials on the walls and a Georgian Pulpit which was thrown out with the box pews in 1880 and returned in the 20th century. There is a medieval bell standing under the tower, cast in the reign of Henry VI. John Betjeman mentioned the church in his poem "Summoned by Bells".
The Anglican parish is now part of the United Benefice of St Mawgan, St Ervan and St Eval, which has its own website.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan Methodist and Bible Christian chapels in Rumford, and a Bible Christian chapel in Penrose.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Ervan are: C021901/2, C053131/2, E021901, M021901, M053131, Bible Christian C065391. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1602 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1677 - 1917, Burials 1677 - 1812, Marriages 1674 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1602 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, Non-Conformist records 1820 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1701 to 1906 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1706 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Marriages 1837 to 1901, and Phillimore's marriages 1602 to 1812, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1602 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of St Ervan was originally in the St Columb Registration District. It is now in the Bodmin Registration District. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- There is a website dedicated to the United Benefice of St Mawgan, St Eval and St Ervan.
- Treginegar Farmhouse at St. Ervan, was absorbed into HMS VULTURE - (Royal Naval Air Station, St. Merryn) and became the Officers' Wardroom (Officers' Mess) during World War II. In a leaflet published in 1996 by John Shapland, an explanation of the term "Kiddlywink" in St Ervan refers to the INN at St Ervan -- not the Farmhouse. By the end of the 20th century, Treginegar was a Holiday Guesthouse, though there is still a working farm there.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Ervan to another place.
"ST. ERVAN, a parish in the hundred of Pyder, county Cornwall, 5 miles N.W. of St. Colomb-Major, its post town. It contains the hamlets of Churchtown and Penrose. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £405. The church is a neat edifice dedicated to St. Evan. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans, and a parochial school at Penrose. A cattle fair is held on the 29th May.
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Ervan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Bodmin Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW891702 (Lat/Lon: 50.493938, -4.974232), St Ervan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Ervan (1805) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- St Ervan parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1827 to 1837) and Bastardy Bonds (1841), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.