Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for St Eval

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

St Eval

Primary tabs

St Eval, (Cornish: Sen Urval), alias Teverall, alias Voell, is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by St Merryn, on the east by St Ervan, on the south by Mawgan-in-Pydar, and on the west by the sea. The parish of St Eval is rural in nature. Penrose is a village in the parish which is recorded as far back as the 13th century. Trethewel Mill was part of an ancient manor of that name. The Manor House, which dates back to 14th century, is situated nearby.

During the War of 1939 - 1945, St Eval was an important RAF Coastal Command airfield and this has left its mark in the military style of buildings, housing and memorials in the parish Church. RAF families from St Mawgan were resident in the accommodation at St Eval, and this accounts for the immediate post-war population surge. A much earlier defensive system is Trevisker Round dating from prehistoric times.

The villages are the Churchtown, Treburthick (now Treburrick) and Downhill.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 551 entries.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of St Eval (HO107/150), Enumeration District 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of St Eval (HO107/1905), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of St Eval (RG9/1540), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of St Eval (RG10/2253), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of St Eval (RG11/2294), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of St Eval (RG12/1818), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Eval area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church, is dedicated to St Uvelus, a Breton saint; it is on a high plateau on the north coast and has long been a landmark to seafarers. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and a north transept. The arcade consists of six four-centred arches, and a small eliptical one. The material is St Stephens porcelain stone. There are north and south porches. The tower is of three stages, and is surmounted with battlements and pinnacles.
    The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8769. This 13th century church stands quite alone: visible for miles around, surrounded by disused runways of RAF St.Eval. The splendid church tower, 60 feet tall, was built during the summer of 1727, to replace an earlier tower that fell into disrepair in the mid 1600s. The church was enlarged in the mid-16th century and there is the remains of a medieval screen and an elaborately carved part of the Rood Screen base. The pulpit has been recently restored and the date 1638, together with the name of the Minister and Churchwardens can be seen on the base stringers. The Font is very plain and is from Norman times, as is one remaining window in the North wall. There are 23 carved bench-ends dating from the mid-16th century and at the back are three original pews. In 1989 a memorial was dedicated for those who had served at RAF St.Eval which includes a memorial window and Book of Remembrance. It is a very interesting church in an unlikely situation.
    The Anglican parish is now part of the United Benefice of St Mawgan, St Ervan and St Eval, which has its own website.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Tregona, and a Bible Christian chapel at Treburthick.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1695 - 1980, Burials 1695 - 1951, Marriages 1695 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1612 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1612 - 1667.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
  • Marriages.
    • Phillimore's marriages 1631 to 1812, and marriages 1837 to 1902, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1631 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1695 to 1812 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book or CD formats.
  • Mixed Records. The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms, marriages and burials (1778 to 1855) for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..

Civil Registration

The parish of St Eval was originally in the St Columb Registration District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. It is now in the Bodmin Registration District. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of St Eval which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Eval to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Susan Old is also undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Eval ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which St Eval has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

St Eval parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.



  • Population in 1801 - 288 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 309 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 323 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 354 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 349 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 326 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 295 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 282 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 265 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 245 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 225 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 205 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 214 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 238 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1384 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1408 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1281 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1245 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1171 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 963 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 960 persons


The parish comprises 2917 acres of land, one acre of water, 2 acres of tidal water and 109 acres of foreshore.