The parish of St Ewe, (Cornish: Lannewa), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by St Mewan and St Austell, on the east by St Austell and Mevagissey, on the south by Gorran and St Michael Caerhays, and on the west by Cuby and Creed. Nothing is known about this saint, whose name is that of the parish, except that she was believed to be female. This parish and picturesque little village lie in the agricultural area west of Mevagissey. To the east is Heligan House, built in the late 17th century, was the seat of the Tremayne family for more than 400 years. The extensive gardens have recently been restored and are now open to the public.
The villages are the Churchtown, Polmassick, Croswin, Kestle, and Lower Sticker.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Ewe (HO107/146), Enumeration Districts 4 to 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Ewe (HO107/1908), Enumeration Districts 1a to 1d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Ewe (RG9/1550), Enumeration Districts 5 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Ewe (RG11/2304), Enumeration Districts 5 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Ewe (RG12/1824), Enumeration Districts 5 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9746 and was dedicated to St Ewe (or Eustacchius). Nothing is known about this saint except that she was believed to be female. It is now dedicated to All Saints. An early church was here in Norman times, and the Normans rebuilt the church on its present site in 1120. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1767. The arcade has six obtuse arches. On the north side of the church, and adjoining the chancel, is a vestry. There are north and south porches and a priest's door. The tower is of two stages, buttressed at angles, and surmounted with a spire. The tower is of 72 feet in height, and contains three bells; it is reputed to be the smallest in the country. The ecclesiastical parish is now linked to Mevagissey.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Tucoyse, and Bible Christian chapels at Polmassick, Kestle, Paramore, asnd Lower Sticker.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Ewe are: C021831/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1560 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1560 - 1993, Burials 1559 - 1992, Marriages 1560 - 1973, Boyd's Marriage Index 1560 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1560 to 1902, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms (1728 to 1840) for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Transcription of the baptisms of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit 1838-1907, taken from LDS film 2276210 images 1913-2413 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints). These records relate to several parishes close to Mevagissey including Gorran, Veryan, St Ewe, St Austell, Gerrans, St Just-in-Roseland, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
- Banns. Banns 1823 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's marriages 1560 to 1812, church marriage registers 1560 to 1778, and 1754 to 1906, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1560 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's Marriages of St Ewe 1560 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
The parish of St Ewe has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Ewe to another place.
"ST. EWE, a parish in the hundred of East Powder, county Cornwall, 3 miles N.W. of Mevagissey, its post town, and 5 S.W. of St. Austell. It includes the hamlets of Heligan, Mill, and Pengrugla. Tin and copper are obtained. The principal tin-mine in operation is that of Polgooth, which is of great extent and richness. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £440. The church is an ancient stone structure, and contains monuments of the Mohuns and others. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, have each a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. There is a fair held on the second Monday in the months of April and October.
"HELIGAN HILL, a hamlet in the parish of St. Ewe, county Cornwall, 3 miles S. of St. Austle."
"PENGRUGIA, a hamlet in the parish of St. Ewe, county Cornwall, 3 miles S.W. of St. Austle."
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has provided a genealogical website for this parish. (not available on line 8/18)
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Ewe ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which St Ewe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Austell Registration district in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW976466 (Lat/Lon: 50.284212, -4.842046), St Ewe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Information about the St. Austell & Lostwithiel area mines is available on-line.
- St Ewe parish was part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1795 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
The Protestation Returns of 1642 for St Ewe are available on-line.