St Gennys, (Cornish: Sen Gwynnys), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the sea and Poundstock, on the east by Jacobstow and Warbstow, on the south by Otterham and St Juliot, and on the west by the sea. The name comes from St.Genesius, the patron saint of the local church. This small village is on high cliffs on the north Cornish coast overlooking Bude Bay; it is remarkable for its uneveness. Its surface consists wholly of lofty hills and deep valleys. The High Cliff, near Crackington Haven measures 735 feet above sea-level. There are three pointed headlans jutting into the sea from this parish, namely: the Cambeak, Dizard Point and Castle Point.
Crackington Haven is situated at the mouth of a picturesque valley which divides the parish in two, each part supporting a thriving Methodist community. Wrecks are said to have supplied much of the building material of houses in the past but now there is more interest in rescues, the Bude Lifeboat being responsible for saving many lives.
The villages of the parish are Crackington, Roskear, and Penkuke.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 473 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Records Office. The Cornwall FHS offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Gennys (HO107/140), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Gennys (HO107/1897), Enumeration Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Gennys is listed in Volume 5. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861.The 1861 Census of St Gennys (RG9/1514), Enumeration District 3B and 4B, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Gennys (RG10/2217), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Gennys (RG11/2271), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Gennys (RG12/1798), Enumeration Districts 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1497, and was dedicated to St Genesius. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has four obtuse arches with octagonal pillars; the north arcade has four obtuse arches supported chiefly on moulded pillars. There is a south porch, a priest's door, and a blocked north door. The tower is of one stage 22 feet high, surmounted by a pyramidal roof 10 feet in height; it contains four bells. The church was restored in 1871 under the direction of Mr. J. P. St. Aubyn, architect, at an expense of £1,100, when it was re-seated and a vestry added. There are 280 sittings.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Association chapel at Brockle built in 1842, and a Bible Christian chapel at Tremaynea.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Gennys are: C020971, E020971, M020971. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1697 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1702 - 1879, Burials 1702 - 1885, Marriages 1702 - 1901, Boyd's Marriage Index 1612 - 1673, BTs 1612 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1813 to 1879 (with gaps) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1734 to 1838 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
- Marriages 1687 to 1804 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1702 to 1901 (with gaps), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1612 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of St Gennys is in the Stratton Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Kilhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Gennys to another place.
"ST. GENNYS, a parish in the hundred of Lesnewth, county Cornwall, 8 miles S.W. of Stratton, its post town, and 10 N. of Camelford. It is situated on the Bristol Channel, and includes the hamlets of Coxford, Cockington Haven, Dysart, Penruke, Roscare, and Trencrick. Copper ore is obtained, and there are slate quarries. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220, and the vicarial for £160. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £146. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to St. German. The Association Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school. A fair is held on the 16th July for the sale of cattle, sheep, &c.
"DAZARD, a hamlet in the hundred of Stratton, in the parish of St. Gennys and county of Cornwall, 5 miles S.W. of Stratton. It is situated near Dazard Point, to the S. of Widemouth Bay.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Gennys ecclesiastical parish:
- Crackington (Crachemua, Crachenwe), Grid Reference 158957.
- Dizzard (Disart, Lisart), Grid Reference 169981.
- Pengold (Panguol, Pangvol), Grid Reference 138944.
- Rosecare (Roschel), Grid Reference 167957.
- St Gennys (Sainguinas, Sanguinas, Sanwinas), Grid Reference 149972.
- Trefreock (Trerihoc), Grid Reference 168953.
- Treworgie (Treurghen, Trevrgen), Grid Reference 178968.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Gennys has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Stratton Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX149971 (Lat/Lon: 50.743927, -4.624951), St Gennys which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The North Cornwall Regiment of Volunteer Infantry was a force of local militia raised by Lt. Col. Wrey I'Ans of Whitstone House in 1803. Men of the 6th Company were recruited from St Gennys and adjoining parishes. They were almost all farmers, their servants, labourers and apprentices.
- St Gennys parish was part of the Stratton Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1789 to 1810) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.