Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for St Ive

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

St Ive

Primary tabs

The parish of St Ive, (Cornish: Sen Iv), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Linkinhorne and South Hill, on the east by Callington and St Mellion, on the south by Quethiock, and on the west by Menheniot and St Cleer. Pronounced 'St Eve', this parish is inland in east Cornwall and must not be confused with the port of St Ives on the north coast. The parish derives its name, either from John, the elder son of Brechan, the petty king of Wales (In Wales, the name is Evan or Ivon) or it is named after an obscure saint (St. Ivo), who was believed to have been a Persian bishop who preached the gospel in England.

The small village of St Ive is on the A390 between Callington and Liskeard. The ancient farmhouse of Trebeigh was given to the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem in 1150, and there is a legend they built an underground passage between the church and the farmhouse in which they stored their treasure. The village of Pensilva is about two miles north-west and has splendid panoramic views stretching from St Austell to Plymouth and Dartmoor. It was built in the 19th century to serve the tin and copper mining industry. When the mines closed miners emigrated, chiefly to the USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa.

The chief villages of the parish are the Churchtown, Pensilva, and St Ive Cross. Pensilva was built to house miners in the early 19th century.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
    • The Parish Church - 858 entries
    • The Methodist Chapel - 128 entries
  • Some gravestones at St Ive are available on-line.
  • Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line monumental inscriptions for St Ivos churchyard [Old Section completed 2004, excluding about six fallen etc.], Pensilva, [about half the old section done]..



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Ive area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

St Ive parish churches and some chapels on the Callington Area Heritage site (broken link)

  • Anglican. There are two Anglican churches in the parish:
    • Parish Church. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3067 and was dedicated to St Ive. According to the ecclesiastical taxation of Pope Nicholas IV, in 1291, the church is called Eccl'ia S'c'i Ivonis. The church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, north transept, and vestry. The pulpit is said to have been made in 1700, and the whole church was restored in 1745 at the expence of the then rector. In the transept is a piscina, and under the north window is an arched recess for a tomb. The arcade has five four-centred arches of granite, with monolith pillars having floriated capitals of the same material. There is a south porch, a priest's door and a vestry door; the north door is blocked. The tower, which is also of granite, is of three stages; it is finished with battlements and twelve pinnacles - the buttresses being produced to the top of the tower and finished with a pinnacle each, thus adding eight subordinate ones. The tower contains five bells.
    • St Paul's Mission Church. As the population of Bodmonland (Pensilva) grew in Victorian times it became obvious that another church was needed in the parish. It was not until 1900, with funds bequeathed for the purpose in the Will of the Rev. Hobhouse (Archdeacon when he died), that St Paul's Mission Church was built at Pensilva. It is said that it was forgotten that the bequest was valid for only five years, hence a frantic last minute construction of what was affectionately became known as the 'tin tabernacle' due to its corrugated iron structure. Officially it was called the St John's Mission Church. It had a new roof in 1932 and has very recently had a complete facelift; it is still a place of worship at the beginning of the 21st century.
  • Non-Conformist. The following non-conformist chapels were located within the parish:
    • Pensilva Fore Street Bible Christian Chapel. Opened in 1861
    • Pensilva, Princes Road Chapel.
    • Wesleyan Pensilva Church Hill Chapel.
    • United Methodist Free Church.
    • Trenanvin Chapel. Wesleyan, but did not have its own registers.
    • St Ive Cross. Origins from 1833, Wesleyan from 1860 there are registers in existence and locally held transcripts of them are available, however no registers have been deposited with the CRO.
    • St Ive Keason. Bible Christian from 1845; Wesleyan from 1884.
    • Charaton Cross. Bible Christian from 1845.
    • Marsh Gate. Wesleyan.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Ive are: C023291/2. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1675 - 1713.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1683 - 1937, Burials 1686 - 1927, Marriages 1686 - 1972, Boyd's Marriage Index 1614 - 1672, BTs 1614 - 1672 .
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms:
    • Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line baptism records for St Ive parish 1778 to 1841.
    • Baptisms 1864 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Banns. Banns 1869 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages:
    • Marriages 1614 to 1812 and 1838 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line marriage records for St Ive parish 1614 to 1837.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1614 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1864 to 1927 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1814 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
    • Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line burial records for St Ive parish 1788 to 1841.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Ive has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of St Ive which are provided by:



Callington Area Heritage (broken link) has the following directories online

  • An extract from the Post Office Directory of 1856, relating to St Ive, is available.
  • An extract from the Kelly's Directory 1873 for St Ive is available.
  • An extract from the Harrod's Royal Directory of Cornwall 1878 for St Ive parish.
  • An extract from the Kelly's Directory 1893 for St Ive is available.
  • An extract from the Kelly's Directory 1910 for St Ive is available.
  • An extract from the 1930 Kelly's Directory relating to St Ive, is also available on-line


  • The 1892 Sanitary Report (broken link) gives an interesting indication of the housing conditions of the period in St Ive.


Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Ive to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



  • OPC Assistance.
    • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
    • There may be relevant references for this parish on either the OPC site or on Callington Area Heritage (broken link)

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Ive ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which St Ive has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) placed on-line a webpage for the history of St Ive parish.


Land and Property

Return of Owners of Land 1873 - The Callington Area Heritage site (broken link) lists all the people resident in the parish who owned land in 1873

There are references on the OPC and Callington Area Heritage sites (broken link) for various land related data



Newspaper Extracts of events in Linkinhorne, and taken from the CORNISH TIMES 1857, 1858, 1859 & 1862, and the Sherborne & Yeovil Mercury 1773-1778, may be available on the Callington Heritage site (broken link)




Politics and Government

The Free & Voluntary Present (broken link) as the name indicates, is a list of those persons making a voluntary contribution to the King. The list is those persons who went to Launceston on 8th November 1661, from the parishes of St Ive, Linkinhorne and South Hill. The amount they gave is indicated.


Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • St Ive parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1818 to 1835) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
  • Some Bastardy Bonds for St Ive parish are also available on-line.


  • Population in 1801 - 468 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 535 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 602 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 656 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 768 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1013 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2593 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2952 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2121 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1716 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1392 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1267 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1215 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1250 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1158 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1201 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1386 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 2055 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 2110 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 2121 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 2205 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 (broken link) for St Ive were available on-line.



  • The parish comprises 5888 acres of land and 11 acres of water.


There may be relevant references for the following on either the OPC or Callington Area Heritage sites (broken link) for this parish

  • The Military Survey of 1522 for the Parish of St Ive tried to determine the wealth of parishes in the country. The money was needed to finance the war with France; the assessment was in goods unless stated that it was on land.
  • Cornish Subsidies in the reign of Henry VIII, lists all men in South Hill with land or goods of value.
  • The Hearth Tax entries for St Ive (1662)
  • The 1805 Land Tax Assessment entries for St Ive
  • The 1812 Land Tax Assessment of St Ive

Voting Registers

The Poll books recorded the names of everyone in Cornwall who voted at Parliamentary elections along with the names of the person they voted for. There are three poll books for the County, all at the Cornwall Record Office. 1710 (CF4787), 1774 (DX622), 1790 (PD208). See the OPC site