The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. KEVERNE, a parish in the hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 10 miles S.E. of Helston. This parish, which is of large extent, is situated on the shore of the English Channel, by which it is bounded on the E. and S., and opposite the Manacle rocks. It contains three small fishing coves or harbours, called Coverack, Porthonstock, and Porthalloe, or Pralla. At the first of these is a good pier, affording shelter to the small vessels engaged in the coasting trade and in the pilchard fishery. It was here that the Despatch was lost in 1809. The villagers are chiefly engaged in fishing and agriculture. A yellow clay is found here, much esteemed for castings in silver, brass, and lead. The prevailing rocks are serpentine, soapstone, shale, and magnesian limestone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £512. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £383. The church belonged to Beaulieu Abbey, and was struck by lightning in 1770. It has a tower surmounted by a spire, and contains several interesting monuments, among which is one to the memory of Major-General Cavendish, Captain Dunkenfield, and 61 men of a regiment who perished in a storm off the coast in 1809. There are places of worship for Baptists, Bryanites, and Wesleyans, also a school with a small endowment. Charles Incledon, the celebrated singer, was a native. Fairs are held on the 5th March, 19th June, and 2nd October.
"THE MANACLES, a reef of granite rocks in the parish of St. Keverne, off the coast of Cornwall, They lie about 5½ miles to the S. of Falmouth Harbour, and have near them the sunken rocks of Penwin and Vaze.