The parish of St Kew, (Cornish: Lanndogho), (anciently called Lanow or Lanew) is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Endellion and St Teath, on the east by St Tudy and St Mabyn, on the south by Egloshayle and St Minver, and on the west by St Minver and St Endellion. St Kew and St Doghow, believed to be brother and sister, are the patron saints of the local church. They came from Gwent in south-east Wales. This rural parish is near the north coast of Cornwall south of Port Isaac. St Kew Churchtown is the heart of the parish. This contains the church, the old vicarage and a 15th century Inn. St Kew Highway is a hamlet on the A39; the other villages are the Churchtown, Chapel-Amble, Tregelles, Trelill, Trewerthan, Pendoggett, and Trequite.
St Kew is a parish and vicarage containing 216 houses, and 1113 inhabitants. It is 8 miles nearly N.W. from Bodmin, 7 S.W. from Camelford, 6 nearly E. from Padstow. and 3 1/2 from Wadebridge which is the Post office town. '(This information is taken from THE CORNWALL GAZETTEER first printed in 1817)'.
The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 913 entries.
- Chapel Amble Methodist Chapel - 169 entries.
- Trelill Methodist Chapel - 25 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Kew (HO107/152), Enumeration Districts 6 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Kew (HO107/1904), Enumeration Districts 1a, 1b and 1c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Kew (RG9/1538), Enumeration Districts 1 to 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Kew (RG10/2251), Enumeration Districts 1, 2 [including Hospital] and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Kew (RG11/2293), Enumeration Districts 1 to 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Kew (RG12/1817), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0276 and was originally dedicated to St Kew. (St Kew and St Doghow, believed to be brother and sister, were once regarded as the patron saints). The church is now dedicated to St James the Great. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades each have five four-centred arches, supported on tall monolith pillars of granite of Pentewan stone. There is a south porch and a priest's door. The tower, which is 70 feet high, is buttressed on the square. It is of three stages and is finished with battlements and pinnacles. The turret of the newell rises three feet above the battlements. The belfry contains six bells.
- Non-ConformistThere were chapels belonging to the United Methodist Free Church at St Kew Highway, Amble, Trelill, and Pendoggett.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Kew are: C022251/2, M025561/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1564 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1564 - 1891, Burials 1564 - 1910, Marriages 1564 - 1836, Boyd's Marriage Index 1563 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptism transcripts 1680 to 1911 (with early gaps), and BIshop's transcripts 1677 to 1772 (with gaps), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has published on-line Church of England baptisms for St Kew:
- The OPC has also published on-line Non-Conformist baptisms for St Kew:
- Camelford Wesleyan Circuit Baptisms 1801 to 1836, Camelford Wesleyan Methodist Circuit Baptisms 1837 to 1876 and Camelford Wesleyan Baptisms 1876 to 1882.
- St Austell and Camelford Methodist Circuit 1800 - 1837.
- Camelford United Methodist Baptisms 1911 to 1934 and Non-Conformist St Austell and Camelford Methodist Baptisms 1800 to 1837, and Wadebridge Wesleyan Circuit Baptisms 1884 - 1914.
- Michaelstow Bible Christian Circuit 1822 - 1837.
- Camelford United Methodist Circuit 1911 - 1934.
- St Endellion/Port Isaac United Methodist Free Church 1868 - 1900.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1706 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Banns of Marriage.
- Phillimore marriages 1564 to 1812, Bishop's transcripts of marriages 1677 to 1772 (with gaps), and parish transcripts 1813 to 1901, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has also publish on-line marriages for St Kew:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1564 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Bishop's transcripts of burials 1744 to 1793, and parish transcripts 1680 to 1740, 1744 to 1793, and 1795 to 1910 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has also publish on-line burials for St Kew:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
The parish of St Kew is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been sice 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Kew to another place.
"ST. KEW, a parish in the hundred of Trigg, county Cornwall, 4 miles N.E. of Wadebridge, and 7 N.W. of Bodmin. This parish, which is of large extent, is bounded on the S. by the river Amble, a branch of the Camel, navigable to Amble Bridge. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Languit. The soil is very fertile, and there are quarries of stone for the roads. In the vicinity are several ancient barrows and beacons. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £734, and the vicarial for £521 9s. The living is a vicarage' in the diocese of Exeter, value £401. The church of St. Kew is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave with N. and S. aisles. In the windows are some interesting remains of painted glass, and in the N. aisle is an altar-tomb with the recumbent effigy of Honor Webber, of Middle Amble. In the churchyard was formerly a small chapel dedicated to St. Wenn. There are places of worship for Wesleyans. Trewane, the old seat of the Nichollses, is now a farmhouse.
"BENBOULE, a village in the parish of St. Kew, hundred of Brigg, in the county of Cornwall, near Wadebridge."
- OPC Assistance.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Kew ecclesiastical parish:
- Carmar (Chienmerc, Chenmerch), Grid Reference 008760.
- Chapel Amble (Amal), Grid Reference 997755.
- Lanow (Lannohoo, Lanehoc, Lantloho, Lantloha, Lannahoo, Lannohoi), Grid Reference 026776.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Kew has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Bodmin Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX022768 (Lat/Lon: 50.557615, -4.794331), St Kew which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The Muster Rolls of St Kew in 1569 are available on-line.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
- The OPC has made available the Protestation Returns of 1641 on-line.
- The Protestation Returns of 1642 are also available separately on-line.
The parish comprises 7559 acres of land, 2 acres of tidal water and one acre of foreshore.