The parish of St Mabyn, (Cornish: Sen Mabon), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Tudy, on the east by Blisland and Helland, on the south by Egloshayle, and on the west by St Kew. According to legend St Mabon, after whom the parish is named, was one of the 24 children of King Broccan.
At Dinham's Bridge, there is an arched bridge over the River Laine, which separates this parish from St Kew. This river rises in the neighbourhood of Camelford; it runs parallel with the Camel, to which it is a tributary, for several miles before falling into that river in Egloshayle parish.
The parish and village of St Mabyn are about 3 miles east of Wadebridge, south of the A39. There are no other villages in the parish, but there are many small manor houses, including Tregarden, Tredethy, Helligan and Colquite, all built in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 252 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Mabyn, (HO107/152), is available on-line as follows:
- From the Cornwall Online Census project: Enumeration Districts 1 and 2.
- From the St Mabyn Village website.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Mabyn (HO107/1904), Enumeration Districts 6a and 6b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Mabyn (RG9/1535), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Mabyn (RG10/2248), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1881 Census of St Mabyn (RG11/2290), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1881 Census of St Mabyn (RG11/2290) is also available on-line from the St Mabyn Village website.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Mabyn (RG12/1815) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0473 and is dedicated to St Mabyn. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades each comprise seven four-centred arches of granite, supported on monolith granite pillars with sculptured capitals of St Stephens porcelain stone. There is a south porch, a north door, and a priest's door. The tower, which is 75 feet in height, has three stages. It has a parapet and pinnacles.
- Non-Conformist. There was a chapel belonging to the Methodist Free Church in the Churchtown, which had a graveyard. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel at Longstone.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Mabyn are: C002056, M002951, P002051. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1562 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1562 - 1846, Burials 1537 - 1890, Marriages 1562 - 1983, Boyd's Marriage Index 1562 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1813 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1717 to 1844 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
- Baptisms of St Mabyn 1717 to 1824 are available on fiche from the Cornish Forefathers' Society which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Phillimore's marriages 1562 to 1812 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1601 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's Marriages at St Mabyn - 1562 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
The parish of St Mabyn is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Mabyn to another place.
"ST. MABYN, a parish in the hundred of Trigg, county Cornwall, 3 miles N.E. of Wadebridge, 4 N.W. of Bodmin, its post town, and 7 S.W. of Camelford. The river Camel flows through the neighbourhood, with its lofty banks clothed with wood to their summits. The village is neatly built. At Trevisquite and Colquite, in this parish, were formerly chapels. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £712. The church is an old stone edifice, dedicated to St. Mabinana. It has a lofty square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and was entirely repaired at the expense of the late rector. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The charities amount to about £6 per annum. There is a National school, also an almshouse for seven families. The Rev. C. Peters, the controversial author of the "Dissertation on Homer and Job," was some time rector of this parish. Colquite is an old seat. A fair is held on the 14th February for the sale of cattle.
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Mabyn ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which St Mabyn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Bodmin Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX042733 (Lat/Lon: 50.526278, -4.764333), St Mabyn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Mabyn (1667 - 1824) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- St Mabyn parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1672 to 1810), Settlement Papers (1675 to 1842) and Bastardy Bonds (1624 to 1825) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
The school log book from 1871 records all the admissions, absences, and details of all aspects of the day to day running of the school. Extracts from this log book, together with past photographs of the school, are available on-line.