1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ST. MEWAN, a parish in the hundred of East Powder, county Cornwall, 1 mile W. by S. of St. Austell. It contains the hamlets of Burganlo and Trewoon, and the celebrated tin mine of Polgooth, which is partly in this parish. The rocks are chiefly granite and felspar, with veins of copper and tin, and in some places traces of silver and gold. The village is considerable but primitive. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £276. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £284. The church is dedicated to St. Newan.