St Michael Carhayes
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. MICHAEL CARHAYES, a parish in the E. division of the hundred of Powder, county Cornwall, 4 miles E. by S. of Tregony, its post town, and 7 S.W. of St. Austell. The parish, which is small, is situated on the shore of the English Channel, by which it is bounded on the S. It includes the small port called Luny, or Veryan Bay, and contains the hamlets of Carhayes-Barton and Polgrain. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150. The living is a rectory and vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value with St. Dennis and St. Stephen's, £659. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a stone structure, with a lofty castellated tower. The interior contains, besides the sword of Sir Hugh, who was at Bosworth Field, several monuments to the Trevanions. There is a school, chiefly supported by the Trevanions.
"CARHAYES-BARTON, a hamlet in the parish of St. Michael Carhayes, hundred of Powder, in the county of Cornwall, 3 miles to the S.E. of Tregony. It is on the seacoast, and has the seat of Colonel Trevanion, a mansion in the Gothic style of architecture."
"POLGRAIN, a hamlet in the parish of St. Michael Carhayes, county Cornwall, 3 miles S.E. of Tregoney."