St Michael Penkevil
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. MICHAEL-PENKEVIL, a parish in the W. division of the hundred of Powder, county Cornwall, 2 miles S.E. of Truro, and 5 W. by S. of Tregony. The village, which is small, is situated at Mopas Ferry on St. Clement's Creek. The manor anciently belonged to the Penkevil family, from whom the parish takes the suffix to its name, and subsequently came through the Courtenays, Carminows, and others, to the Boscawens of Tregothnan. The surface is rugged, and the subsoil a slaty rock, with traces of copper. There are two old seats known as Tregonian and Nancarrow. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £156. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and buttresses, and adjoins the park. It contains a monument by Rysbrach, to Admiral Boscawen, who died in 1761, and one to the "rich" Carminow. There is a school supported by the Earl and Countess of Falmouth.