The parish of St Neot, (Cornish: Lanniet), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by Altarnun, on the east by St Cleer and Liskeard, on the south by St Pinnock and Bradock, and on the west by Warleggan, Temple and Blisland. St Neot parish is in the centre of Cornwall, north of Liskeard. St Neot founded a monastery here, and he is believed to have been a relative of King Alfred. A thriving agricultural industry existed in the parish in the past, particularly with sheep, provided enough money to build the beautiful parish church.
In the Domesday Survey of 1086, it is recorded:
"The clergy of St Neotus held NEOTESTOU, and they held it at the time of King Edward (the Confessor); there are two hides which were taxed; there are four borderers; it is worth five shillings. All this land, except one acre of arable land which the Priests hold, was taken away from the church by the Earl Odo holds it of him, and it is worth five shillings; it was before this worth 20 shillings".
During the English civil war, the village supported the royalist cause and this is still commemorated each year by placing an oak branch on the church tower on Oak Apple Day. Tin used to be mined in the area, and the village is said to be honeycombed with old mine workings. Dozmary Pool is reputed to be in the Arthurian legend as the possible site of Excalibur.
The principal villages are St Neot village, Ley and Dreynes.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Trenant Bible Christian Chapel - 112 entries.
- Some individuals from St Cleer/St Neot area were buried at the Trenant Bible Christian Chapel at St Neot. St Cleer was quite a large parish so some people were buried at St Neot churchyard as it was closer (and some from St Neot were buried at St Cleer).
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Neot (HO107/153), Enumeration Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Neot (HO107/1902), Enumeration Districts 4a, 4b and 4c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Neot (RG9/1530) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Neot is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Neot (RG11/2286), Enumeration Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Neot (RG12/1811) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
A Saxon Monastery is said to have existed here dedicated to St Neot who died in AD 877, and was buried in the church. In 974, these relics were stolen by Earl Aelric and his wife Ethelfleda, having founded a religious house at Eynesbury in Huntingdonshire. The parish of parish church of St Neot in Cornwall is located in OS Grid Square SX1867 and was dedicated to St Neotus on 14th October 1321. It consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has seven four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars; the north has six similar arches with like pillars and a seventh, or most eastern, which is an ogee arch and much less than the others. The church is well-known for its stained-glass windows, most of which date from the 15th or 16th century. There is a south porch, a north porch which is now used as a vestry, and north and south chancel doors. The church is buttressed throughout. The tower is 71 feet in height; it has thre stages, and the parapet is finished with battlements. The belfry contains six bells.
- Mission Churches. St Neot's parish had two mission projects:
- St Simon and St Jude at Ley. The church had a single bell. The Mission Church at Ley is now a private residence and the bell was removed to St Neot Church many years ago.
- St Agatha's. This was a mission room at Draynes; it was moved some years ago to be the Church hall at St Cleer and in the past few years has been demolished.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in St Neot village, and a Bible Christian chapel at Trenant.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Neot are: C021991, E053241, M053241, Bible Christian C065421. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1549 - 1855.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1549 - 1950, Burials 1549 - 1898, Marriages 1550 - 1947, Boyd's Marriage Index 1610 - 1673, BTs 1610 - 1673, Non-Conformist records 1820 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1549 to 1911, and 1680 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- St Neot Bible Christian Chapel baptisms 1837 to 1857 (registers also include Liskeard) are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1710 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Banns. Banns 1756 to 1809, and 1846 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line marriage records for St Neot parish 1813 to 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1550 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages 1550 to 1900, including 1680 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of St Neot has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- Historical sketch of the parish of Saint Neot (Cornwall). Including the life of Saint Neot, together with a description of the Parish church and its windows, and the Ballad of Tregeagle, by William A. Axworthy (Published 1906), is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Neot to another place.
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Neot ecclesiastical parish:
- Draynes (Drainos), Grid Reference 221692.
- Fawton (Fauuitona, Fawintone), Grid Reference 167682.
- Lewarne (Languer, Langver), Grid Reference 171653.
- St Neot (Nietestou, Neotestov, Nietes stou, Nietestov), Grid Reference 186679.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Neot has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Liskeard Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX189707 (Lat/Lon: 50.508031, -4.555312), St Neot which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Information about the Caradon and Liskeard Mines is available on-line.
St Neot parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Parochial accounts, seventeenth century, St. Neot's, Cornwall, by J.H. Lefroy (Published 1891), is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.