The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. SAMPSON, a parish in the E. division of Powder hundred, county Cornwall, 4 miles S.E. of Lostwithiel. The navigable river Fowey bounds the parish on the E. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £53. At a spot called Castle-Dore was formerly a castle of the earls of Salisbury.