1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ST. STEPHEN, a parish in the N. division of East hundred, county Cornwall, 1 mile N.W. of Launceston, its post town, and 16 miles from Camelford. It includes the disfranchised borough of Newport, and is mentioned in Domesday Book as Lanson. It derives its present name from the collegiate church of St. Stephen, which Bishop Warlewast, of Exeter, converted into an Austin priory in 1126. The village is situated on the brow of a hill immediately above Newport. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £110, in the patronage of the inhabitants. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower. The parochial charities produce about £224, of which £193 go to Horwell's school. Fairs are held on 12th May, 31st July, and 25th September, all of which are for cattle.
"NEWPORT, formerly a representative borough in the parish of St. Stephen, N. division of the hundred of East, county Cornwall, 214 miles W. by S. of London. It is situated opposite Launceston, on a branch of the river Tamar, and appears anciently to have been joined with that borough under the name of Dunheved. It separately returned two members to parliament since the reign of Edward VI., but was disfranchised by the Reform Act, and incorporated with Launceston."