St Stephen In Brannel


St Stephen-in-Brannel(Cornish: Eglosstefan), (sometimes referred to as St Stephens-in-Brannel, or just St Stephens) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by St Dennis and Roche, on the east by St Austell and St Mewan, on the south by Creed and Probus, and on the west by Ladock and St Enoder. The parish is named after Saint Stephen and the addition of the manor name. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1085 as Bernel. It lies in the centre of Cornwall, north-east of Grampound. The village of St Stephen is on the A3058 road linking Newquay and St Austell. It is on the northern edge of the china clay industry which encouraged the growth of the village to the present population of over 5,000. The Tanner family resided in the manor house at Court for many generations.

The chief villages of the parish are the Churchtown, Whitemoor, Currian and Nanpean. Nanpean (means Little Valley). Nanpean was chosen as the site for a chemical plant for the recovery of aluminium as a by-product from the nearby china clay workings during World War II when this metal was in short supply. However this industry is no longer undertaken in Nanpean.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)





Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Records Office. The Cornwall FHS offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


Church History

  • Anglican. There are two Anglican churches is this parish:
    • Parish Church. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9453 and was dedicated to St Stephen by Walter Bronescombe, bishop of Exeter on 20th August 1261. The church is built of granite in the Early Decorated period; it comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The north arcade has eight segmental arches, and the south four; the material is chiefly native porcelain stone. There is an unused north door and a priest's door. The embattled tower is on three stages, buttressed on the square and finished with battlements and octagonal crocketed pinnacles. Formerly it had three pinnacles and a small spire over the stairs; when the tower was damaged by lighning in 1784 after which this spiralet was removed and the fourth pinnacle substituted. The belfry contains six bells; the first four were cast in 1730 and the remainder were cast in 1799. The church was extensively restored during 1854 to 1871 and again within the following century. The Church possesses many interesting features: the East Window, portraying the Lord's Supper set in the midst of local industries - Clay Production and Farming; the Tanner Chapel depicting the martyrdom of St. Stephen; the fine Brewer Organ built in 1896 and recently restored; the Pulpit is made of the Pew ends when chairs replaced them in 1893. The baptism and marriage registers date from 1694 and burials from 1695.
    • Nanpean. In 1879, an Anglical church dedicated to St. George the Martyr, was built at Nanpean. It comprises an apsidal chancel, nave and south aisle with porch, vestry and bell-turret; the three centre widows are stained. This church has its own burial ground.
    • There were, at one time, several other churches and chapels in the parish.
      Details about the plans of the modern churches are available on-line.
  • Non-Conformist. There was also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Nanpean. There were Bible Christian chapels at Trethosa, Trelyon, and Old Pound, and Wesleyan Methodist Free chapels were located at the Churchtown, Coombe and Nanpean.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1694 - 1951, Burials 1695 - 1859 Marriages 1694 - 1924, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1608 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of baptisms 1681 to 1735, and transcriptions of baptisms 1765 to 1912, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Coombe Wesleyan baptisms 1829 to 1912 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The OPC has transcribed BT Baptisms 1681 to 1734 in this parish. These are available on-line.
    • The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1699 to 1842 for this parish.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1694 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
  • Banns. Banns of marriage 1854 to 1912 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
  • Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of Coombe Wesleyan Chapel in this parish is available.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Stephen-in-Brannel has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of St Stephen In Brannel which are provided by:





OPC Assistance.

  • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • The OPC for St Stephen-in-Brannel has produced a genealogical website for the parish.
  • British-Genealogy have a mailing list for those wanting to discuss ancestry in St Stephen-in-Brannel).

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Stephen-in-Brannel ecclesiastical parish:


Land & Property

  • The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this parish; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW953542 (Lat/Lon: 50.352458, -4.878509), St Stephen In Brannel which are provided by:


Military Records

The 1798 Stannary List gives the Names of all MINERS and WORKING TINNERS, between the Ages of 15 and 60 Years, living within the Parish of St. Stephens distinguishing which of them are willing to engage themselves to be armed, arrayed, trained and exercised for the Defence of the Realm; and which of them are willing to engage in Cases of Emergency, either gratuitously or for Hire, as PIONEERS or LABOURERS, and which of them by reason of Infirmity are incapable of actual Service.


Names, Personal

Available research of families having surnames occurring in St Stephen-in-Brannel, is available. This includes details of some local families.



  • Snippets of news from The West Briton newspapers, relating to St Stephen-in-Brannel, are available on-line.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • St Stephen-in-Brannel parish was part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1655 to 1725) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
  • Some of these St Stephen-in-Brannel Overseers of the Poor Accounts are available on-line.


  • Population in 1801 - 1738 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1904 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 2479 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 2477 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 2643 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2711 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2746 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 3110 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 3228 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 3590 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 4146 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 4831 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 5064 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 4801 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 4436 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 4782 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 4999 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 5030 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 5488 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 6755 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 7119 persons

Probate Records


Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted. The Protestation Returns for St Stephen-in-Brannel in 1642 are available on-line.



The parish consists of 9251 acres of land and 41 acres of water.



The 1660 Poll Tax and the Land Tax Redemptions - 1799 have been transcribed.